turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

jbob172

Do turbo tax charge extra to amend a return?

I had to pay $110 to amend mine just now, for it to just tell me to print out the 1040-X and mail it in myself, come to find out I could have just got that form for free and did it myself. Is there anyway to return this? Nothing told me I could have done it myself till after I had paid. Very confusing to do, and couldn't really navigate it at all.

Rileyb410

How do you know that your amend has been submitted and how long did it take for them to accept it?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.

Amended returns cannot be e-filed using TurboTax.  They must be mailed in.

Please see the attached link for more information on how amended returns can be prepared in TurboTax.

How to amend my return?

Once you send in your return, you can track the status of your amended returns using the link below.

Status of Amended returns

IRS operations are limited during the Covid-19 pandemic.  Attached is a link with more information as to what departments are available to contact at the moment. 

If your status has not been updated yet, it may be because they are currently not processing paper returns due to social distancing requirements.  Once the restrictions are lifted, the IRS will resume processing returns that have been mailed in, including amended returns.

IRS operations

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
nitsujdmc

Yes , turbo tax does charge you again for fixing and refilling taxes.  I paid 40 for service 40 for the upgrade and 40 for direct deposit.  After all fees 865 fed. Well I got rejected, I added one extra number. So I looked to fix it. Can't amend online. Turbo tax let fix the right number and then went to refile. After going through that charged me another 40 services 40 upgrade and 40 direct deposit. So yes turbo tax does charge you again. 

@nitsujdmc wrote:

Yes , turbo tax does charge you again for fixing and refilling taxes.  I paid 40 for service 40 for the upgrade and 40 for direct deposit.  After all fees 865 fed. Well I got rejected, I added one extra number. So I looked to fix it. Can't amend online. Turbo tax let fix the right number and then went to refile. After going through that charged me another 40 services 40 upgrade and 40 direct deposit. So yes turbo tax does charge you again. 

Rejected tax returns cannot be amended since they were never accepted by the IRS.  You correct the error and e-file the tax return again.

If you were charged more than once for your tax return then you need to contact TurboTax support for this billing issue.

Support is open from 5am to 9pm Pacific time, 7 days a week during tax season

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Or -

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Or -

Use this phone number and select TurboTax - 1-800-4-INTUIT (1-800-446-8848)

josh178

Yes, you do have to pay a fee to amend your taxes. Their is a fee for both state and federal. 

No you do not pay to amend unless you need to upgrade to a higher version for something.

dstraup
Returning Member

All amendments in 2019 had to be printed, signed, and mailed in.  That is the only way the IRS would accept them

AmyC
Expert Alumni

You can amend your return for no extra charge and e-file it during this tax year, until Oct. 15 or so.  After that, it would need to be mailed in.

@dstraup

Judys1955

Can I amend my 2020 state tax

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@Judys1955

To Amend your 2020 return, please see this Help Article for further instructions.  

Kkris8
Returning Member

Amending my 2021 return isn't free have tried everything but still being asked to pay over $259 so guess I won't be amending mine there for loosing over $3000

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If the information you need to Amend in TurboTax requires an upgrade to the next level of TurboTax, you will be prompted to upgrade which will result in an additional cost. You can review your fees to see a breakdown of what you are being charged for. 

If nothing has changed and you are still being prompted to pay, please reach out to Customer Support via the below help article for assistance. Be sure to use the keywords Billing Issues to get you to the right person.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@007453180CD

Jsson

Consider yourself lucky. I'm trying to amend mine and it's demanding $128!

@Jsson wrote:

Consider yourself lucky. I'm trying to amend mine and it's demanding $128!

You will get charged for a higher edition if you amend and data you enter requires the higher edition or if you add a state that is an additional charge.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for your fees - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/intuit-account-billing/review-fees-turbo...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies