Do I need to file an amendment
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Do I need to file an amendment

I learned this year that I was issued a 1099-R for a previous year that I was unaware of. Do I need to file an amendment?

3 Replies
Level 15

Do I need to file an amendment

Yes.  You need to amend the tax return for the year in which you received the income reported on that 1099R.  Eventually the IRS will send you a letter if you do not report the income--it was reported to the IRS.


A 1040X cannot be e-filed.  It must be printed and mailed.  It will take about 4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  It is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it, like UPS or certified mail, so you will know it was received.

Wait about 3 weeks from mailing and you can check the status of your amended return:

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Level 15

Do I need to file an amendment

Yes.  Unless the IRS sent you a bill and you agree with it.


How to Amend all years

Level 15

Do I need to file an amendment

Yes, the Form 1099-R is to be reported on your tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return originally completed and filed using TurboTax -

Dynamic Ads
Privacy Settings