turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Delay by IRS in processing electronic filing

I filed electronically on February 7, 2021 for our 2020 Federal and State of Missouri taxes and the IRS still has not accepted our returns as of February 12, 2021.  Why the delay in accepting returns filed electronically?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies

MY RETURN IS IN PENDING—what does that mean?

Did you e-file?  Did you click that big orange button that said “Transmit my returns now?”  If so, your return is now in “pending” on a server.  Do not try to change anything while your return is in pending. If your return is rejected you will be able to make corrections before re-filing.

The IRS will not be accepting/rejecting 2020 returns until Friday, February 12, 2021.  You need to watch your emails for the acceptance/rejection notice that may take until mid-February or later to arrive.   And watch your spam folder too.   There are a LOT of e-files on servers so it may be several days after the IRS opens before you get an email.

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return.

A state return cannot be accepted until the federal return has been accepted.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2021-tax-filing-season-begins-feb-12-irs-outlines-steps-to-speed-refund...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

It will take the IRS several days to pull all the millions of tax returns from all the various servers throughout the country.  If yours is not pulled on 02/12 just be patient, it will be pulled.

The states cannot pull your state return from the servers until the IRS has pulled and accepted your federal tax return.

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

Having the same issue with delays on the IRS accepting/rejecting my federal return. Turbo Tax says the return was "transmitted" February 2, 2021. Here it is February 15, 2021 and no word from Turbo Tax or the IRS. Turbo Tax folks need to  talk with the IRS and see what's going on and provide us some answers.

TaxGuy23

Same situation here. I e-filed my IRS and state returns on February 4, and got emails from TurboTax saying both e-filings had been successfully submitted. But as of February 18 afternoon, I still have not received an Accepted or Rejected email for either e-filing. (Of course, the IRS e-filing has to be accepted before the state e-filing can be accepted.)

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you logged back into your TurboTax account to check your e-file status? If not, please try and see if you have either an accepted or rejected status.  If your status is still pending please post here and let us know. 

@TaxGuy23

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Tax67
Returning Member

I am in the same situation, I filed my Federal and State returns on February 4th and as of the 18th they are still pending.  Maybe it would be sensible for Turbo Tax to allow the returns to be rejected if there is a software issue so that the software can be updated and the returns refiled.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

The process goes from pending to accepted, then to approved. The IRS usually releases refunds within 21 calendar days after the e-filed return has been accepted (received), not 21 days from the e-filing date. 

Here's an article with information about pending.

What does "Pending" mean?

I still have not received a update from TurboTax and my taxes were filed on Feb 2, and transmitted to the irs on Feb 12th. Why such the huge delay??

We know that... the issue is most people’s taxes, including mine are still in the pending status almost a week after e filing. Never had a issue with federal taxes been in a pending status this long. 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

If you don't have an email from us and your return is still pending by 10p PT on Friday the 19th of February, please comment below. 

We understand these are stressful times and appreciate your patience. If you receive an "accepted" email in the next few days, we'd love to see that, so please report back. 

Returns accepted February 17, 2021. 

My returns were filed 2/8 and supposedly transmitted on 2/12. It's the 19th now and I've spoken to three or four agents, someone at the office of the president, was promised an email within 48 hours with either an acceptance or steps to correct errors ..but yet...nothing. Not a thing. I am still pending 7 days later. So much for that 24-48 hour turn around and being encouraged to file early. What's the deal, Turbo Tax? Can anyone offer us a real solution instead of just putting us off more and more? 

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

The IRS did not officially begin processing returns until February 12th. Your return is currently being processed. It can take anywhere from a few days to 3 weeks to update. As your return moves through the system, the status of it will be updated accordingly. There's no way of knowing exactly when the IRS will update as TurboTax does not have access to any information regarding your tax refund once it has been submitted to the IRS and state department. Continue checking the Where’s My Federal Refund?  tool for updates. Updates are made daily, usually overnight. You may also download the IRS2Go app to check your Federal refund status.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/what-does-pending-mean/00/26331

As clearly stated in my precious comment, my returns were allegedly transmitted on the 12th when the IRS began accepting returns. It is now the 19th. Never has it ever taken my returns 7 days or more to be accepted or processed until this year when filing with turbo tax. Definitely a one and done experience for me. Definitely not worth the $130 you will charge me.

Manage cookies