Change exemptions in 2019

Change exemptions in 2019

I filed for my daughter - we filed 2019 very late but she had a refund coming. She got a letter from the IRS saying that she would receive a receive a reduced refund because she can be claimed by us (her parents). She was 22 in 2019 was finishing her final year in college. The letter from the  IRS says that since she can be claimed by someone else she receied a lower return  It is 

Change exemptions in 2019

Please explain what you are trying to do.  Personal exemptions ended for federal tax returns beginning with tax year 2018.

Change exemptions in 2019

Did you claim her on your return?  And she claimed herself?  Yes that can make a difference in her refund.  Did the IRS say what Credits she didn't get?  Like she can't take the education credit or the EIC.  How much income did she have?  She can only get back from withholding taken out.  

Change exemptions in 2019

I am hoping that Congress does something for people in her situation.  Being able to be claimed by another person also prevents her from receiving a stimulus check.  I feel it is unfair to many college age people and expected to see that changed in 2020.  I am sorry that this situation exists.