turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Cares Act Section 2302

@Treacy I got a TT customer rep to admit the glitch and though I'm on the hook for the taxes, they are refunding my TT fee paid, to lessen the hurt a little.  Every bit helps.

@Critter-3 I get the fine print says TT is responsible for fees and interest not the actual amount due, but when this kind of glitch happens in the background and no where was visible to those who experienced it. As I am 100% certain I did not bypass this option and would never have selected deferring. Maybe you should consider a little compassion for those who put trust into this firm and were hit with such an unexpected financial burden.

Cares Act Section 2302

When there is a known glitch and they fix it they send you an email alert to everyone who  already filed with ths issue  telling you how to fix the error before the IRS sends you a letter.  Always look at the emails TT sends as they are not all junk.  

Cares Act Section 2302

@TAS2021 

you did well getting your fee back.

Many posts complaining about this and insisting they never got asked about it.

But there is an interview about it.

[  TurboTax 2020 was full of glitches, bugs and other "issues". ]

curly63

Cares Act Section 2302

Where would this deferment choice show up in forms? I too would not have chosen to defer a payment and would like to find this in my 2020 forms.

Thank you!

Cares Act Section 2302

The deferred tax appears as a refundable credit on Schedule 3 line 12e, "Deferral for certain Schedule H or SE filers." It was subtracted from the tax you had to pay with your tax return. You have to pay half the deferred tax by December 31, 2021 (the end of this month), and the remainder by December 31, 2022.

Cares Act Section 2302

There is a glitch in your programming from 2020. I NEVER saw or answered ANY of those questions during my 2020 taxes. I have used TurboTax for over five years and am very familiar with the questions. I did NOT overlook these questions. These questions never popped up during my tax preparation at all. I will no longer be using Turbo Tax in the future as a result of this, and additional glitches in your programming.

Cares Act Section 2302

Glitch or not it happened and 1/2 the deferred taxes are due now with the other 1/2 due next December.  

Cares Act Section 2302

@fanfare there was no questions or interview at the time I processed my taxes on TurboTax online for 2020 year. I've used TurboTax for 20years now and I am diligent in reading all questions and reviewing all forms. This was never asked, did not appear on any questions or forms visible to me during the completion or filing process.

@Critter-3  I really hope you are not a TurboTax employee or representative. If so, I respectfully and highly recommend you repeat customer service training. Your condescending tone and blatant  disregard for such a large number of customers clearly communicating an error in the software and absolutely no choice given to defer any payments is sad.

Cares Act Section 2302

I do not work for TT so I don't have to sugar coat the plain truth which I post bluntly ... sorry if my style is not your cup of tea.  

The program did have a glitch in the early versions which was corrected and if you had already filed a warning email was sent out alerting you to the correction needed.  Although TT tries to not have errors they do from time to time as nothing is perfect.  Sadly for this issue there is nothing you or TT can do about it  now ... they would only pay penalties and interest on an IRS letter showing them as part of their accuracy guarantee.  The deferred taxes are not covered since you would have owed them anyway.  

What you can do is contact TT support directly and request a refund of the program fee you paid as some others have done.  And in the future don't be in a rush to file ... wait until at least March when all the major bugs have been exterminated.  

Have a Happy Holiday Season. 

Cares Act Section 2302

NEVER got an email from Turbo Tax...that is the whole point..they knew about the issue and did nothing to rectify it with their users.

Cares Act Section 2302

YES!!

Cares Act Section 2302

I do not pay $100 for a service that has glitches and no communication from Turbo Tax about said glitch...that is the whole point critter...not that we owe the money.

Cares Act Section 2302

Today I just received my first IRS notice regarding the CARES Act and amount due for unpaid SS tax. Likewise, I never saw the question about tax deferral as I did not do the tax interview process as just transferred my 2019 tax info into the 2020 tax forms and made changes. I just went back and looked at that interview process and the tax deferral question. TurboTax says "Since you're getting a refund this year, it looks like you're not eligible to defer the SS portion of your self-employment tax". Then why did I receive a notice from the IRS that I owe that tax. Did the IRS assume that all TT prepared returns opted for the tax deferral? Now I must contact the IRS (and spend a lot of valuable time) and convince them the tax is not due.......frustrating to say the least.

Cares Act Section 2302

@baguyette13   Better still check your return to see if it was deferred.  Check if you have a Schedule 3 line 12e which goes to 1040 line 31.  Even though I had a refund it still deferred mine and I had to go in and delete that before I filed.   I used the Desktop Home & Business version.   

Cares Act Section 2302

Thank you for your reply. I did not have a Schedule 3 in my tax return. I just opened up a Schedule 3 and it is blank (no entries).....also no entry on line 31 of the 1040. I used TurboTax Deluxe. How did the IRS assume I deferred the tax when it does not show up on any schedule of the return?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies