Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I include 2015 medical expenses that were never included when I submitted my 2015 taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Can I include 2015 medical expenses that were never included when I submitted my 2015 taxes?

You cannot include medical expenses you paid in 2015 on your 2016 tax return.  You can only enter medical expenses you paid in 2016 on your 2016 tax return.  If you incurred the expense in 2015, but paid it in 2016, it can be entered on your 2016 return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

So, if I found several medical expenses I paid in 2015 that I did not include on my 2015 taxes, can I somehow report them now...being a year later...like an amendment or something to get credit for the medical expenses I did spend but forgot to include?

You could amend your 2015 return to include them.  But be aware that the medical expense deduction is very hard to get.  If you were under 65 in 2015, the only part of your medical expenses that even "count" are the expenses you PAID that were over 10% of your adjusted gross income. And then you also need to have enough other itemized deductions to exceed your standard deduction.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Will it cost money to amend the 2015 return?  What is the procedure to "amend"?...where do I start?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies