ncummings

Can I claim our 22 yr old as a dependent,living @ home & going to college?She made $11K in '18, & owed $950 in SS tax.We owe $3700 in fed. taxes on $64K in total income.

Seems we can't declare her as a dependent, & even though we paid $3800 in tuition, looks like federally we can't claim that expense. Trying to reduce my tax liability.  Am I missing something?

CarolynM

Yes, you can still claim your 22 year old full time college student as a dependent.

Here are the qualifications:

*            be your child (or adoptive or foster child), sibling, niece, nephew or grandchild;

*            be under age 19, or under age 24 and a full-time student for at least five months of the year; or be permanently disabled, regardless of age; 

*            have lived with you for more than half the year; and

*            have provided no more than half his or her own support for the year.

However, because she is over 17, you will only receive a $500 tax credit, not the full Child Tax Credit of $2,000.

For more information, follow this link: Turbo Tax on Dependents

You can also claim the tuition, but educational tax credit have been reduced and have income limits.

For more information, follow this link: IRS on Education

ncummings

Okay, here's the kicker.  She's a nursing student, and as such, she typically pulls only 9 or 10 credit hrs per semester.  This seems to be the standard #of credit hrs for nursing students.  
CarolynM

Full time student is determined by her school. These hours are common for nursing students and still qualify her as your dependent
ncummings

Okay, let me check with the college.  Thanks.

Any other suggestions from folks out there?