Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

It depends. it generally will take 6-8 weeks before IRS will process a mailed return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Been 5 weeks since I sent in my amended return and the IRS shows it still hasn't received it?

My relatives sent amended returns in May 2020

One was processed in September.

The other was processed in Jan 2021.

I guess it depends on what desk your return lands on.

The IRS commissioner testified the other day to Congress. There are no trucks in parking lots with unopened tax returns. They are "caught up".

Just giving an update on my status-.  I mailed my amended return for 2018 in May 2020.  In November it finally showed up on the IRS website- saying it was received May 27th.  It showed that "take action" note with a number to call.  I called and the woman said there's nothing wrong (No need to take any action) and that they are just very backed up.  Said she put notes in the account etc etc.  Still not processed.  I'm owed a decent amount of money.  

I submitted my amended for 2019 sometime in May, 2020. They sent it back in December, 2020 since I forgot to sign in one spot. So they should of received it on December 17, 2020 from what the post office receipt showed.. And its now been 17 weeks and the IRS website to check amended refunds is still telling me the same thing. About waiting 3 weeks and then it taking 16 weeks to process.. Does anyone know why its taking so long if everything on my paperwork was fine except for a signature? I already received my State Amended Tax Refund 2 months ago for my 2019 taxes I filed last year (2020).

honestly70
Returning Member

I wonder if, like someone mentioned before, some locations are processing faster than others.  

mine was sent sept 15, 2020 to the one in Austin and showed up in system mid March 2021 saying it was received in sept 2020.  No change to that status since then.  

Its been 3 months sence i sent my amended tax returns back and it is still not showing up 

you're still good and in the beginning stages....   It's been 14 months and 9 days since the IRS confirmed they've received mine... and still nothing... other then "we've received but not processed blah blah blah blah"

Coco44

My amended return finally popped up as received on the IRS website. I got an action required message and a number to call with an extension. I’ve called that number/ext everyday and get the same message - call volume too high, call back another time. WTF?! IRS website says it was received 6/29/2020. They aren’t processing my return because they need something from me but I can’t get through to provide what’s needed. IRS is holding onto about 2K in overpaid taxes from me. Have you had this issue? Any options?

Why do you say they aren't processing your return because they need something from you? If you are basing that solely on the "action required" message that is not correct.  That is a standard message.  My amended return was received May 27, 2020. It was processed May 7, 2021.  I received a check in the mail 2 days ago- with interest.  If you still feel you need to speak with someone then you need to call right at 7 am if you hope to get through.  And prepare to wait on hold for a long time. 

Is been 4 weeks for me. They received it on 4/29/21 but it's still not showing on the website

That’s terrible. Still no update for myself it’s just amended return for a school credit

That's exactly what mine is for. They take forever unless you owe them!

You go through so much to get to a person only to hear they can't take your call at this time. Try again later. 

@Charlesskelton "amended return for a school credit."

Amended returns take about four months to process even under normal circumstances.   During the pandemic it has been taking a lot longer.   Eventually you will see information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yes,  I spoke with the IRS this morning and was told that amended returns were not being processed during the shutdown so everything is taking longer than usual because they are just opening back up

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies