turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Neighbo

Andidbdjzmskaoiebrbdjdj didn't include r dudkd

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you are married and living together you can only file as Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.  Even if you are not living together and are legally married you cannot file as Single.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the Head of Household filing status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2567672-can-a-married-person-claim-head-of-household-filing-status

Whomever pays for the health insurance is not relevant to the filing status on a tax return.

View solution in original post

22 Replies

Are you legally married?

If you are actually married neither of you can file as Single and probably not Head of Household either.  So either you meant you file MFS (married filing Separate) or you have been filing your returns wrong and need to amend them.

May I ask why you are not filing Joint?  It is usually better to file Joint. Joint has the lowest tax rates and the highest Standard Deduction.   And if you are in a Community Property state MFS gets tricky to figure out.  Here's some things to consider about filing separately……

In the first place you each have to file a separate return, so that's two returns.  And if you are using the Online version that means using 2 accounts and paying the fees twice.  

Many people think they come out better when filing Married Filing Separate but they are probably doing it wrong.  If one person itemizes deductions then the other one must itemize too, even if it's less than the standard deduction, even if it is ZERO!  

And there are several credits you can't take when filing separately, like the
EITC Earned Income Tax Credit
Child Care Credit
Educational Deductions and Credits

And contributions to IRA and ROTH IRA are limited when you file MFS.

Also if you file Married Filing Separately up to 85% of your Social Security becomes taxable even with no other income.

See …….
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-married-filing-jointly-vs-married-filing-separately">https...>
Neighbo

We get a lower return if we filed together sense i make more i rather have her get a good return an she can help me pay my tax which is usually 500-1k

You cannot just choose. The tax law must be followed.

and Married Filing Separately is not the same as Single, or as Head of Household. Which state do you live in?:

If you are married and living together you can only file as Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately.  Even if you are not living together and are legally married you cannot file as Single.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the Head of Household filing status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2567672-can-a-married-person-claim-head-of-household-filing-status

Whomever pays for the health insurance is not relevant to the filing status on a tax return.

She cannot file HOH if you live together. You may have to amend prior returns. Or did you just get married in 2017?
Neighbo

No been married 5yrs been doing it like that for years ?

Well, you've been doing it wrong, but why?  Did someone tell you to do it that way? Please see a local tax preparer to do amended returns for all those years.
Neighbo

We've been doing it like that cause we get a better return well she dose i always have to pay if we do it together we don't get as much

But the law doesn't allow that, since you are married.

See "Some Examples of Tax Fraud" here:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://law.freeadvice.com/tax_law/tax_enforcement/filing-fraudulent-income-tax-return-crime.htm">ht...>
Neighbo

Well that sucks even if she hasn't changed her name legally yet I've always done it on turbo tax so never actually talked to anyone

Her last name doesn't matter, and TT goes by what you enter on the forms. The program has no way of knowing if you make a misstatement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies