Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Apply ITIN for my wife. How long will it take ?

See if you can find a certified acceptance agent when they open in a couple of weeks ... look at option 2 ...

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-i-apply-for-an-itin

keikocpa129
Returning Member

If I take option 2( instead send a passport ), I have to wait couple weeks or month since most authorized agent office close now due to COVID-19. 

If I send a W-7 with tax return in late May/June.  It takes 60 days to get ITIN number .

How I can e-file ( without my daughter's ITIN number ) NY state return which due is July 15 ? 

If I do not own NY state( refund position), is it fine to e-file after July 15? Are there any late penalty  if file NY state return after July 15?

If I take option 2( instead send a passport ), I have to wait couple weeks or month since most authorized agent office close now due to COVID-19.   Really is best option.

If I send a W-7 with tax return in late May/June.  It takes 60 days to get ITIN number .  With this virus situation I would not bet on the usual 60 days.

How I can e-file ( without my daughter's ITIN number ) NY state return which due is July 15 ?  Do NOT file a fed or state return without the ITIN ... file EXTENSIONS instead. 

If I do not own NY state( refund position), is it fine to e-file after July 15? Are there any late penalty  if file NY state return after July 15?   Again file  extensions ... even if you get a refund. 

You do need to file the federal return without the ITIN together with the application (that is true if you go to an acceptance agent or send in the application). If you send in the W7 application, do not send the original passport. You might not get it back or get it back after a very long time.

Some states allow filing without an ITIN and then you provide that number later. Not sure about NY. So apply for an extension. However, efiling might still not work right after you get the ITIN, as the databases do not necessarily update immediately.

keikocpa129
Returning Member

I have Turbo tax CD, Can I e-file Extension form 4868?  No total liability.   

In Turbo Tax FAQ, I see, Turbo Tax D software: follow these instructions to print Form 4868. Even I click "Form 4868" , it does not go anywhere.  How I can find form 4868 in Turbo Tax CD version? 

Also, do I need to file NY states extension? Or Federal Extension cover for NY state extension and no need to file state extension?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

The easiest way to file the extension is to use TurboTax Easy Extension.  See Can IRS extensions be e-filed?  The New York extension MUST be filed separately, so please use the link within the link to get the information on HOW to file the New York extension.

@keikocpa129

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
keikocpa129
Returning Member

I filed Federal extension via File a Free Extension in Turbo Tax website. And I received a email from Turbo Tax "your 2019 Federal Personal Extension has been approved!". How I can get a confirmation sheet of approval?

Print the email ... that is the ONLY confirmation you will get. 

keikocpa129
Returning Member

This is my first year to file US tax return.

My dependent does not have social security number and I will apply ITIN(taxpayer identification number) with paper filling W-7 and my federal tax return.  Filling status is Head of household. I can not file my federal tax return now since I have to get signature for W-7. I am waiting IRS offices re-open( option 2 or option 3 to get a signature at  IRS office).

IT-203 Item I dependent information- Do I need to enter ITIN in space "Social Security number "? 

I wonder If I can leave it as blank.  If I have to enter ITIN, I have to wait to receive her ITIN since IRS offices are closed due to COVID-19.

If I do not need to enter ITIN, can I file NY state return before I paper file my federal tax return? 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

You should wait to file your IT-203 until you have the number.  Since each of these items may take some time, I recommend you go ahead and and file these forms - extensions of time to file.  This will allow you until October 15, 2020 to get these things accomplished.

Federal Extension - Form 4868 or online TurboTax Easy Extension

New York Extension of Time to File Tax Return

@keikocpa129

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Agreed ... put the state on extension until you get the SS#  ... and file the fed with the W-7 form ASAP ...  Google search : Certifying Acceptance Agent near me  :  to find a non IRS office that can help you ... many are attached to an income tax company which are open now. 

I applied for ITIN (filed taxes with W7 for my wife) on March 4th. 

It has been more than 7 weeks now and I have not received any correspondence from the IRS. 

I sent out the package by register mail to the address on W7 form ( Austin, TX 78714 ), however, the USPS tracking result says it is delivered to Austin, TX 73301. Did USPS screw it up or that is where it supposed to go?

Does anybody has tracked their w7 package to the same delivery address? Please help.

Due to the virus many offices are closed and nothing is being processed ... patience will be needed until they catch up. 

I shouldn't be worried about the USPS delivery zipcode in tracking?

You sent it to the correct place ... things are just taking much longer ... fresh off the press today :

Dear Income Verification Express Service (IVES) Participants,

We wanted to provide you with an update regarding the current state of our operations. Starting April 27, 2020, we plan to have limited staffing in our service centers to begin processing previously submitted requests. We will not be accepting any new work until we significantly reduce existing inventory. A subsequent update will be provided when new work will be accepted. Due to limited staffing, processing time will be delayed. 

Thanks for your patience and please stay safe.

IRS IVES Team

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies