The federal tax file deadline for tax year 2019 has been extended to July 15, 2020, due to Coronavirus (COVID-19). Go here for more information about how taxes have been affected.
Yes, with TurboTax Easy Extension. It's the fast, easy, and secure way to e-file your federal tax extension.
Anyone can use Easy Extension, even if you don't plan on finishing up with TurboTax. This free service is available to anyone with a U.S. or APO/FPO/DPO address. Get started here.
Your extension needs to be e-filed before midnight July 15, 2020. In the unlikely event of a rejection, you have until July 20, 2020 to either resubmit or mail your extension request. Once your e-filed extension has been accepted, you can file your IRS return anytime before midnight, October 15, 2020.
Note: Filing an extension doesn't give you additional time to pay owed taxes, which are due July 15, 2020 (it's the same date for taxpayers out of the country). If you can't pay owed tax by the deadline, always file an extension so you can avoid the late-filing penalty, which is up to 10 times higher than the late-payment penalty.
- How do I file an IRS extension (Form 4868) in TurboTax Online?
- How do I print my 4868 extension form after e-filing it through TurboTax Easy Extension?
- Do I need to file an extension for my personal state taxes?
- Can I pay my taxes in TurboTax Easy Extension?
- How do I finish up in TurboTax after filing an extension?