turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My Fed Tax calculated by TT is less than 50% of the amount comparing to a manual calculation using taxable income and IRS tax rate. What could cause this?

I am surprised to see TT calculated Fed tax is less than 50% of the amount  that I manually calculated using my taxable income and IRS tax rate.  How do I know if TT calculation is correct?  What could cause such a big gap?  Is there any place I should check?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My Fed Tax calculated by TT is less than 50% of the amount comparing to a manual calculation using taxable income and IRS tax rate. What could cause this?

TurboTax does not always use the Tax Tables.  There are several ways that the tax may have to be calculated, depending on the items in your return.

One of the most common reasons for this is if you have any qualified dividends or capital gains.   In that case, TurboTax has to use the "Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet" to figure the tax.   That would provide you a lower tax amount since qualified dividends and capital gains have a more favorable tax treatment.

You appear to be using the Home and Business Edition, which is a desktop product--at least that is what is shown by your screen name above.   So you can go into Forms Mode and see if your tax was calculated on the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Tax Worksheet or another method.

If you DID have qualified dividends and/or capital gains, then in Forms Mode look in the left column list for a form "Qual Div/Cap Gn", and you can click to view it.

There are additional ways that TurboTax may calculate the tax.   Here's how to see what method TurboTax used in your case:

While you are still in Forms Mode, click to view the actual Form 1040.   Scroll to Line 43.    Just below Line 43, you will see a box called "Tax Smart Worksheet" with several tax computation methods listed.   There will be a checkmark that shows what method TurboTax used to calculate your tax.

See this screen image:

View solution in original post

3 Replies

TurboTax does not always use the Tax Tables.  There are several ways that the tax may have to be calculated, depending on the items in your return.

One of the most common reasons for this is if you have any qualified dividends or capital gains.   In that case, TurboTax has to use the "Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet" to figure the tax.   That would provide you a lower tax amount since qualified dividends and capital gains have a more favorable tax treatment.

You appear to be using the Home and Business Edition, which is a desktop product--at least that is what is shown by your screen name above.   So you can go into Forms Mode and see if your tax was calculated on the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gains Tax Worksheet or another method.

If you DID have qualified dividends and/or capital gains, then in Forms Mode look in the left column list for a form "Qual Div/Cap Gn", and you can click to view it.

There are additional ways that TurboTax may calculate the tax.   Here's how to see what method TurboTax used in your case:

While you are still in Forms Mode, click to view the actual Form 1040.   Scroll to Line 43.    Just below Line 43, you will see a box called "Tax Smart Worksheet" with several tax computation methods listed.   There will be a checkmark that shows what method TurboTax used to calculate your tax.

See this screen image:

epo39b - you are correct.  I found the answer.  Thank you for such a clear explanation and easy to follow instructions.

You're welcome.  Good luck.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies