turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is Turbo Tax asking me to move money out of our HSA when we only have $4k of a $6k possible balance limit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindaA
Expert Alumni

Why is Turbo Tax asking me to move money out of our HSA when we only have $4k of a $6k possible balance limit?

You're seeing this message because the information you've entered indicates that you put too much money into your Health Savings Account (HSA). If you exceed the contribution limit, you must withdraw the excess before you file your tax return or you'll be penalized. It's a good idea to double-check the HSA information you entered in TurboTax to make sure you really had an excess contribution. A common error is to enter the HSA contribution information twice, once on the W-2 screen (with code W in box 12) and again on the HSA contributions screen. Use the instructions at the end of the FAQ below to review your HSA answers (be sure to click "See entire answer"). 

Why am I showing an excess HSA contribution?    https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4788059

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LindaA
Expert Alumni

You're seeing this message because the information you've entered indicates that you put too much money into your Health Savings Account (HSA). If you exceed the contribution limit, you must withdraw the excess before you file your tax return or you'll be penalized. It's a good idea to double-check the HSA information you entered in TurboTax to make sure you really had an excess contribution. A common error is to enter the HSA contribution information twice, once on the W-2 screen (with code W in box 12) and again on the HSA contributions screen. Use the instructions at the end of the FAQ below to review your HSA answers (be sure to click "See entire answer"). 

Why am I showing an excess HSA contribution?    https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4788059

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies