turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm Military so it should be free but at the end of filling it's still trying to charge me. Do I need to start over? What are my options?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm Military so it should be free but at the end of filling it's still trying to charge me. Do I need to start over? What are my options?

You need to make sure you went in through the TurboTax Military discount page and then at checkout it automatically applies the discount when you reach the Review your order screen in the File tab. Through that page, only Free Edition and Deluxe versions will be free. Be sure to log completely out of the account you are in now if you did not go through the military discount page. 

You may receive regular products for free or at a reduced rate. For more info, visit our TurboTax military discount page.

E1 – E5:
  • Free federal and state filing with Free Edition or Deluxe
  • $5 off discount or bigger for Premier and Home & Business (Self-Employed)
E6 and above:
  • $5 off discount or bigger on all TurboTax federal products
Or, you can use the TurboTax Freedom Edition (not the Federal Free Edition) if you qualify, in order to file for free. You can go here to see if you qualify for the Freedom Edition https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom

NOTE: If you need steps for switching from Free Edition to the Freedom Edition, go here How do I switch to TurboTax Freedom Edition. You will need to log out of any TurboTax accounts you are in and start a completely new one for Freedom Edition.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You need to make sure you went in through the TurboTax Military discount page and then at checkout it automatically applies the discount when you reach the Review your order screen in the File tab. Through that page, only Free Edition and Deluxe versions will be free. Be sure to log completely out of the account you are in now if you did not go through the military discount page. 

You may receive regular products for free or at a reduced rate. For more info, visit our TurboTax military discount page.

E1 – E5:
  • Free federal and state filing with Free Edition or Deluxe
  • $5 off discount or bigger for Premier and Home & Business (Self-Employed)
E6 and above:
  • $5 off discount or bigger on all TurboTax federal products
Or, you can use the TurboTax Freedom Edition (not the Federal Free Edition) if you qualify, in order to file for free. You can go here to see if you qualify for the Freedom Edition https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom

NOTE: If you need steps for switching from Free Edition to the Freedom Edition, go here How do I switch to TurboTax Freedom Edition. You will need to log out of any TurboTax accounts you are in and start a completely new one for Freedom Edition.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies