turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How was my filing status changed from head of household to single when I made sure it was head of household

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How was my filing status changed from head of household to single when I made sure it was head of household

You have to qualify for Head of Household in order for that status to be used. The TurboTax software will choose the filing status that fits your tax situation when you enter your information. If the information you enter does not qualify you for head of household, the software chooses the correct status for you.

You can check here Do I qualify for Head of Household? to see if you qualify for head of household. 

Or go here https://www.irs.gov/uac/what-is-my-filing-status on the IRS's website and do this short interview to see which fits your situation. You don't want to choose the wrong status by mistake.  

Having the correct filing status will also be used to determine things like your standard deductions, eligibility for certain credits and your correct tax. More information on choosing the right status can be found here Choosing the Correct Filing Status

Single
This status applies if you were unmarried as of December 31, 2017. Note that if you were single and have children, you can get more tax advantages if you qualify to file as head of household.

Head of Household
Use this status if you were unmarried or considered unmarried as of December 31, 2017 and either of the following applied:
  • You paid more than half the cost of keeping up the home of your parent, whom you can claim as a dependent, for all of 2017. Your parent did not have to live with you in your home.
  • You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home where you and one of the following lived for more than half the year:
    • Your unmarried child, adopted child, grandchild, or stepchild who is under age 19 or a full-time student under age 24 or who is permanently and totally disabled. This child does not necessarily need to qualify as your dependent or be claimed on your tax return as your dependent.
    • Your dependent married child, adopted child, foster child, or any other dependent relative. On your tax return, you claim this person as your dependent. 
Other Related Topics:

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You have to qualify for Head of Household in order for that status to be used. The TurboTax software will choose the filing status that fits your tax situation when you enter your information. If the information you enter does not qualify you for head of household, the software chooses the correct status for you.

You can check here Do I qualify for Head of Household? to see if you qualify for head of household. 

Or go here https://www.irs.gov/uac/what-is-my-filing-status on the IRS's website and do this short interview to see which fits your situation. You don't want to choose the wrong status by mistake.  

Having the correct filing status will also be used to determine things like your standard deductions, eligibility for certain credits and your correct tax. More information on choosing the right status can be found here Choosing the Correct Filing Status

Single
This status applies if you were unmarried as of December 31, 2017. Note that if you were single and have children, you can get more tax advantages if you qualify to file as head of household.

Head of Household
Use this status if you were unmarried or considered unmarried as of December 31, 2017 and either of the following applied:
  • You paid more than half the cost of keeping up the home of your parent, whom you can claim as a dependent, for all of 2017. Your parent did not have to live with you in your home.
  • You paid more than half the cost of keeping up a home where you and one of the following lived for more than half the year:
    • Your unmarried child, adopted child, grandchild, or stepchild who is under age 19 or a full-time student under age 24 or who is permanently and totally disabled. This child does not necessarily need to qualify as your dependent or be claimed on your tax return as your dependent.
    • Your dependent married child, adopted child, foster child, or any other dependent relative. On your tax return, you claim this person as your dependent. 
Other Related Topics:
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies