turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

immi

Worked Remotely from Puerto Rico for a US employer full-time

My situation is very unique. I moved to Puerto Rico in May 2018 but continued to work remotely for a US employer based in Michigan on a full-time basis. The company deducted federal and MI income taxes after the move because my employer does not have any business in Puerto Rico. Now, I believe I qualify as a Puerto Rico resident and should pay taxes to Puerto Rico for the 6.5 months I have lived and worked from here. Is that correct? In that case, will I be able to get full refund of the withholding taxes I paid towards Federal and MI? I just hope that I don't have to pay taxes to multiple parties. Please advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

Worked Remotely from Puerto Rico for a US employer full-time

You didn't make clear if you actually lived in MI before your move to PR.  If you did, your income during that time is taxable by Michigan, and you would have to file a Michigan part-year resident return. 

You are correct that your income after your move to PR is taxable by PR, and not by MI.  Unfortunately TurboTax does not support Puerto Rico tax returns.  See this FAQ for more info:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4409290-can-i-file-for-state-tax-for-pr-with-turbotax-because-it-n...

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies