turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dlee6212

How do I get an additional extension for hurricane Irma? I need to replace my roof and cannot pay.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I get an additional extension for hurricane Irma? I need to replace my roof and cannot pay.

There are no second extensions.

However, if you were affected by Hurricane Irma and live in one of the affected States then you have until January 31, 2018 to file your 2016 tax return.  See this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-offers-help-to-hurricane-victims-a-recap-of-key-tax-relief-provisio...

View solution in original post

4 Replies

There are no second extensions.

However, if you were affected by Hurricane Irma and live in one of the affected States then you have until January 31, 2018 to file your 2016 tax return.  See this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-offers-help-to-hurricane-victims-a-recap-of-key-tax-relief-provisio...

You can only efile until Oct. 16, 2017.  After that you have to print and mail.   And we don't know when Online versions will be shutting down. So you might have move to the Desktop program to finish.

IRS does not care that you are putting a new roof on. Tax is due April 18th, 2017. It does you no good to delay filing. unless you have lost paperwork etc due to storm damage and need to reconstruct your records as well as your home.

Cannot afford to pay taxes due (which, as pointed out, were due back in April), or cannot afford to pay the TT fees?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies