turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have Turbo Tax Home and Business with one free state. I use this for family members. How many Federal and how many state returns can be completed?

I only need Federal, and the state of PA - need to know how many of each I can complete with the product I purchased.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have Turbo Tax Home and Business with one free state. I use this for family members. How many Federal and how many state returns can be completed?

You can do unlimited federal and state returns.  You can efile 5 Federal for free.  The rest you have to print and mail .

For state.  You get 1 free state program download which can prepare unlimited state returns (all for the same state).  But each state return is currently 24.99 to efile.  Or you can print and mail state for free.

Be sure to save each return with a name you can tell apart from the others.  Save Frequently!  Go to File-Save or Save As.  To start a new return go to File-New Tax Return.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

You can do unlimited federal and state returns.  You can efile 5 Federal for free.  The rest you have to print and mail .

For state.  You get 1 free state program download which can prepare unlimited state returns (all for the same state).  But each state return is currently 24.99 to efile.  Or you can print and mail state for free.

Be sure to save each return with a name you can tell apart from the others.  Save Frequently!  Go to File-Save or Save As.  To start a new return go to File-New Tax Return.

Eukaryote86
Returning Member

5 free federal e-filings, and 5 free state filings (ONLY if you print out your state return and mail it off). If ANY user wants to e-file a state return, it is $24.99 (regardless of if you're the first user).

The claims on the packaging are definitely confusing, even misleading. For the longest time, I and others thought you got one free state filing. Really it is one free state DOWNLOAD. Meaning if you download software for California state, your remaining 4 users also can download California state software for free. If you have to file in another state, then it's $44.99 for each additional state. Your one free state software download can be done on different devices, including tablets. Hope that helps! I made sure with a TurboTax customer service representative. 

TurboTax can definitely be more clear about their services. All these commercials saying they're free free free hooks people at first. I felt duped wasting my time only to be told at the end I'd need to pay $60 for TurboTax Deluxe plus another $50 for state. I ended up deciding to buy Home and Business and split it with four other people. Much much cheaper. 

I HAVE CASUALITY LOSSES FROM HURRICANE LAURA AND DELTA. WHEN WILL IRS FINISHED COMPLETION OF THEIR FORM TO BE FILED

I will be mailing state returns. Do I still have only one state I can do free. I have Louisiana and Missouri

If you have the Desktop CD/Download program Deluxe or higher you can download 1 state program for free.  You would have to buy a second different state program for $50.  Each state program can do unlimited returns in that state.

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

It appears the Form 4684 is projected to be available for e-file by 3/4/2021.  Here is a link to monitor for form updates.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies