Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need to upload tax2018 file from DVD to turbo tax online to be able to efile my state taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Need to upload tax2018 file from DVD to turbo tax online to be able to efile my state taxes.

Sorry you can not do that.  You can not move a current year desktop return into the Online version.  You can only transfer a desktop return into the next year.  Why do you want to efile state from the Online version?  Why can't you efile from your desktop program?  Are you trying to save the 24.99 state efile fee?  That won't work.  

You can not apply the Desktop CD/Download purchase to the Online version.  You would have to start over in Online and pay for Online again.  Did you file federal from the desktop program?  You can only efile state from the same desktop return you filed federal.  

My CD mentioned Federal eFile, not State eFile. When I went through the process I eFiled my Federal taxes from the DVD version, but it says I cannot eFile the State Returns and that I have to mail it out. When I generated my PDF returns for my wife and I, on the State tax portion it says if I created my tax state tax return via an eFile program I MUST efile it. So its a little confusing. Ones saying I can't eFile, then the form the PDF creates states that I must. What am I missing? lol

What state?  Is it NY?  What version do you have?  In the Desktop Deluxe and above you get 1 free state program download to prepare state returns.  Then each state is 24.99 to efile or you can print and mail state for free.

You should be able to efile state or it should say why you can't.  You might have a form  you can't efile.  Go back though the File tab and try to efile state.  But first look up the federal efile status iin your return.....
Go up  to FILE - Electronic Filing - Check Electronic Filing Status.  

Then if federal was accepted SAVE the return, FILE - SAVE.

I'm double checking right now. I do live in NYS. I just got married in 2018 and my wife and I are filing jointly. We already e-Filed the federal portion of the tax returns and got our money. I'm going to go back through the application again and do what you instructed, but I do have Turbo Tax Deluxe. So then I'll see why the first state preparation didn't allow me to e-file. I don't remember it really explaining why. But I assumed it was because I just got married and I'm filing jointly.

Appreciate the tips I do my taxes every year without issue but this is my first joint tax filing while being married.

You are filing 1 Joint return for the both of you right?  Might be too late now but here's some getting married info.....

You can not transfer from or combine 2 returns or accounts.  Just pick the return for the spouse that has the most complicated return to enter or has any depreciation or business or  more investments.  Or use the account/return for whoever you want to be listed first going forward (by the way you can not change the order of the names).   Then add the other spouse's name, ssn and info to it.

You should usually file a Joint return which is only 1 return combined for the both of you.

And info on Getting Married…..
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Getting-Married/INF12006.html">http://turbotax....>

I followed the step by step process via Turbo Tax instructions. I didnt file separately hers and mine, I did ours jointly and put her W-2 statement and usual PII information in when I was filling out the tax return. Our Federal Tax was approved but during the process to get ready to submit the efile for the state the state portion on Turbo Tax said I couldn't.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies