turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

abagley8

Spouse owes child support can I file separately and claim our kids

My disabled spouse that has no earned income and collects SSDI over $8000 for the year owes back child support.  If I file form 8375 I will have to wait 11 weeks to get the full refund.  If instead I file married filing separately would I still be able to claim the full child tax credit? An suggestions to maximize return and minimize wait time?  (We were counting on the tax return to help with moving expenses coming  up soon)  TIA

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may choose to do this.  When you file as Married Filing Separately, the Earned Income Credit is disallowed, but not the Child Tax and Additional Child Tax Credit.  So, you may in fact choose to file Separately.  Your refund will not be offset towards his back Child Support if you personally were not responsible for it.

As you recognize, you may not get quite as many benefits filing separately; however, since he has no taxable income the IRS may not have been very favorable from an Injured Spouse claim.  You certainly will get any refund filing separately faster than if you file Injured Spouse.  And if filing Injured Spouse will result in a greater benefit, you may still amend the return to claim such later.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Yes, you may choose to do this.  When you file as Married Filing Separately, the Earned Income Credit is disallowed, but not the Child Tax and Additional Child Tax Credit.  So, you may in fact choose to file Separately.  Your refund will not be offset towards his back Child Support if you personally were not responsible for it.

As you recognize, you may not get quite as many benefits filing separately; however, since he has no taxable income the IRS may not have been very favorable from an Injured Spouse claim.  You certainly will get any refund filing separately faster than if you file Injured Spouse.  And if filing Injured Spouse will result in a greater benefit, you may still amend the return to claim such later.

CastroLia

My husband owes old child support and he is paying for it adding the amount to the monthly child. He is working now but I am not. My daughter and I recently moved here so she got her CRBA last year. I would like to claim child tax credit so I don’t know if I can file married but separately even when I didn’t work. We just don’t want that money goes to child support payment. We need the money to pay other expenses 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can file as married separately to receive the child tax credit on your return.  You will need to put in $1 of interest earned so that you show income to allow the return to be filed. 

Here is an IRS FAQ with more information on the Child Tax Credit.  See topic questions D4 and B10.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies