turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I pay interest on EE savings bonds before they mature?

I have series EE savings bonds that mature in 5 years. I would like to pay all of the taxes due on the accumulated interest so far. I am told that I can do this, but need to after this year pay the rest of the interest annually until they mature (or are cashed out.) Is this correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, that is correct.

However, just be aware that when you cash them, it is likely the IRS will send you a notice because they will see that you did not report the FULL amount in the year of the sale (it is unlikely they will look back to the previous years to check that).  So you will need to respond to the IRS notice showing them that you reported the income in previous years.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes, that is correct.

However, just be aware that when you cash them, it is likely the IRS will send you a notice because they will see that you did not report the FULL amount in the year of the sale (it is unlikely they will look back to the previous years to check that).  So you will need to respond to the IRS notice showing them that you reported the income in previous years.

Thanks. If I recall correctly, in TurboTax one reports the full amount of the interest in the year that one cashes/bond matures.  TurboTax then allows you to add a line to report the amount paid in previous years so that the sum results in the net amount of interest not reported.  But I suppose the IRS could still  ask for supporting documentation if they don't want to look at the prior years.
rskoss

TurboTax 2018 doesn't seem to allow the reporting of previously paid interest. When I try to enter the amount, TT tells me that the interest can not be previously reported because it's regular interest. This makes no sense.

@ rskoss wrote:
TurboTax 2018 doesn't seem to allow the reporting of previously paid interest. When I try to enter the amount, TT tells me that the interest can not be previously reported because it's regular interest. This makes no sense.

It's been a while since your post, but I'll leave this for anyone else who stumbles onto this old thread.

Savings Bond interest is entered in Box 3 of the 1099-INT.   It sounds like you entered it in Box 1.   When correctly entered in Box 3, then the amount can be adjusted, if necessary, on a subsequent screen.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies