turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When can we start filing taxes for tax year 2018 (filed in 2019)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

There is absolutely no reason to file an early tax return for 2018.

Filing a tax year 2018 tax return will start after January 1, 2019.  However, the IRS will probably not start to accept any 2018 tax return until late January 2019.  Due to the tax code changes and the changes to the federal tax forms it would probably be wise to wait until mid to late February to file the 2018 tax return.

The TurboTax software for tax year 2018 will not be available until sometime in either November or December 2018.  And the software will need several updates before it can be used to file a tax return.  TurboTax has to wait for the IRS to finalize the federal forms and schedules and then must have IRS approval for the forms and schedules included in the TurboTax software.

Addendum 01/04/2019 -

As of this date - The IRS has yet to publish a date in 2019 when they will be accepting any type of  2018 tax return.  It is estimated that the IRS will probably not start to accept any 2018 tax return until late January or early February at the earliest.  Due to the tax code changes, the changes to the federal tax forms and the partial government shut-down, it would probably be wise to wait until mid to late February to file the 2018 tax return.

You cannot file your tax return using TurboTax until all the forms and schedules included in your tax return have been finalized.  Click on the Review tab at the top of the program screen.  The forms and schedules will be listed with the estimated date for being available.

Addendum 01/08/2019 -

The IRS has announced that they will be accepting 2018 tax returns starting on January 28, 2019.

IRS announcement - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-confirms-tax-filing-season-to-begin-january-28

If your tax return has a tax refund which includes either the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and/or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) the IRS is required to hold the tax refund until mid-February due to the PATH Act passed by Congress.  The IRS will release the refund payments during the latter part of February.

View solution in original post

408 Replies

I received my refund last night. No EIC. I filed on 1/7 accepted on 1/14 received refund on 1/24.

Mine will be deposited by 1/30/19

I filed at H&R Block on 1/24. Was accepted the next day. Would love to have my funds by next Frid

Has anyone with children started filling taxes if so have you gotten them back ?

I filed my taxes a week ago with the EIC and Child Tax Credit. It was accepted, but not approved which wont happen until its processed. Once its approved they have to wait until mid-February to send the refund because of the PATH Act.
cbaw88

@ashtaytyry12 I filed with eic and wmr says we have to wait until mid to late feb I filed on the 17 and was accepted on the 22
smoney21

my refund has been accepted by 1/30.........woo hoo!!!!!!!

Uksam21. Is it saying your refund will be in your acct by 1/30?

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
smoney21

yes it is.
smoney21

does anybody know where you go to see what bank info you have return going to on Turbo tax?
cbaw88

@uksam21 did you file with any credits?

No credits. Single with no EIC. Only education credit because I'm in School.
smoney21

no credits
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies