Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Won't let me eFile. After clicking Transmit Returns Now, msg says Tax Program Update Required yet TurboTax says software is up to date. How do I file?

All,

The fix that worked for me is as follows:

I did a windows 10 update and windows updated several files this evening.  Then I did a manual Turbotax update.  After this I attempted to transmit my Federal and state return and received the error message that my software was not up to date and required updating.  So inside of the program I did a Online Update and instead of giving me the message that my software was up to date this time it actually pulled a file with a 5/6/2021 date and it updated my software.  Went back to transmit my returns and they transmitted with no problems.

If you are still having this issue please follow these steps and post whether it worked or not.  My returns are filed and I am done for the 2020 tax season.

Won't let me eFile. After clicking Transmit Returns Now, msg says Tax Program Update Required yet TurboTax says software is up to date. How do I file?

Looks like it's fixed.   When I opened TurboTax just now, it updated and I was able to eFile.  

Yes, it is fixed and I just got both Fed and State efiled.

Not sure if it is fixed by Turbo Tax or not. But I jus followed a prior post from alumiu90 to update the Windows . After updating the Windows and restart the PC,  I opened the Turbo tax and it will ask for update. After updated the turbo tax, transmit the return without issue.

Glad it was finally fixed before the deadline.

Thank you all!

Yesterday I shared my screen with support and no windows updates were available.  Today there were several and a couple were .net framework which could be related.  However after an update and reboot there was still no change for me.  Same error trying to e-file my Michigan State taxes.  I am going to try this on a different computer where I have the original Amazon downloaded version installed to see if it works there.  Maybe that version will get the TurboTax update.  Manually checking for an update tells me it is up to date on the PC where I filed my federal taxes OK eventually.

So I exited Turbo Tax, closed all programs and shut down my computer overnight, rather than just putting it to sleep. This morning when I launched Turbo Tax it downloaded an update and installed, and now, viola, I was able to transmit the federal and state taxes!!

Happy Days..lol

I am happy to report I restarted TurboTax a little while ago and was prompted for an update.  This last update allowed me to file my Michigan State Taxes as well.  I did not notice any changes to the version numbers that I noted in a previous post.  Glad to see it was resolved before the deadline.  Thanks TurboTax for seeing this through.  

I am also happy to report that after uninstalling, shutting down (not restarting) my computer, then waiting for over an hour and starting my computer, then reinstalling TT2020 from my CD and then NOT launching TT2020, shutting my computer down.  I waited about an hour and started my computer, then started TT2020 and allowed it to update.  When the update finished and the window noting what had been updated, I check and the Program update had date of 5/6/21 (it is was 4/29/21 before) and the Michigan update had a date of 5/7/21 (it was 4/29/21 before).   I was ABLE TO FILE BOTH RETURNS.  Hurrah!!  TT must have fixed something.  I hope everyone else finally had success.   

Glad to hear it worked but I don't understand why you thought that you needed to leave the machine down for an hour. Restarting immediately would have done the same thing, unless it was a hardware issue.

blue_r6

I have done a manual update but I am still getting the same error.

California and Maryland

jbor20

I need a link for manual update for Mac

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you need assistance with updating for Mac, please see this TurboTax FAQ here for information. If you need additional assistance, please click here to contact customer support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DRMidtown

2021 Home and Business seems to be glitchy. Cant efile due to required updates, but all updates, including manually downloaded patch, are installed. In addition, the software is awaiting form 8915E-T for CARES act distribution reporting, but the reality is that 8915E was obsolesced by form 8915F for 2021 and subsequent. 8915F is not in forms listing, and 8915E is not even listed at IRS.gov.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

If you have completed all updates, we would like to take a closer look at this.  Please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible.   

@DRMidtown

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It does not except my efile

The irs says my agi. Does not 

Match what they have. But my transcript 

Has the same amount I enetered.

What's next?

I can't get in touch with the IRS 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies