Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JSCH
Level 2

Won't let me eFile. After clicking Transmit Returns Now, msg says Tax Program Update Required yet TurboTax says software is up to date. How do I file?

Just initiated a conversation via FB messenger with TT. Went through the same troubleshooting rigamarole: yes my internet/wifi works, yes I've restarted, yes I've done the manual update, yes I've uninstalled/reinstalled (did it all again to prove the point), yes my computer is up to date (provided the screenshot to prove it). They asked me to email some information with a case number. I even shared this thread with the representative to demonstrate this is not an isolated issue.

Won't let me eFile. After clicking Transmit Returns Now, msg says Tax Program Update Required yet TurboTax says software is up to date. How do I file?

I just got off the phone with Nathaniel P.  and got further.  We removed the Amazon download version of the software and installed the version available right from TurboTax.  They had to assign me a license key of course.   This version performed an auto update for just my state which is Michigan and it reflected the WinPerReleaseMsi version [phone number removed].   With this version and the latest auto update I was able to file my federal taxes alone but not my state of MI.  We installed the manual update and it back leveled it to 1728 tried state again without any success.  I am hoping that whoever Nathanial was working with behind the scenes is now looking at the Michigan specific update to see what it wrong.  I already paid for my state to e-file but I am hopeful this will be addresses before the 17th.   If not I am prepared to mail in the form and will have to call to get a refund on the e-file I was not able to use.   There is certainly an issue with the Amazon download version but it seems to be the same as the manual patch version so I am not sure if there are just a lot of bad links hosted out there.  Hopefully TurboTax is reading these and working on it.  They know how to find me if they want to try to e-file my state again.

I am having the same issue with TT + Missouri.  Are you filing for parents where you listed one parent has passed away? This was our case, and I did notice since my Dad is getting a state refund, it said for Missouri you have to fill out a form and mail in to Missouri to get a refund when one has passed away. Could this be the issue with TT not letting me file I wonder?

Nothing like that for me.  It won’t even let me transmit just the Federal return.  Has to be a problem with a recent update of theirs as I had no problem filing two federal returns in April for my kids.  

Support is indicating they updated the manual update file today.  Can someone give it a try and let us know if it provides a fix as I am at work today.

thanks 

I just tried the manual update again and still can't eFile.  I even tried just eFiling Federal.  It's not working for me.  

I did a manual update today and still no luck..  think the manual was v2.8 or something like that. Too bad the message wasn't more descriptive? Wonder if they can take your turbot tax return file and step through to see the issue?

The manual update seems top be the same file version as the last couple days and has not changed. Filename is w_perrelsuperpatch_ttax_[phone number removed].exe.  The manual update actually back-leveled my version.  Go to help \ about \ version and help \ about \ components.

This combination allowed me to file federal but is still giving me an issue with Michigan. I am running the desktop software download copy right now the copy from Inuit directly instead of the one from Amazon.

Module WinPerReleaseMsi [phone number removed]

Component TurboTax.exe 2020.48.29.87

Ugh...  Previous post cut off some things as phone numbers.  Replace 'dot' with an actual  .

The manual update seems top be the same file version as the last couple days and has not changed. Filename is w_perrelsuperpatch_ttax_2020'dot'280'dot'0100.exe.  The manual update actually back-leveled my version.  Go to help \ about \ version and help \ about \ components.

This combination allowed me to file federal but is still giving me an issue with Michigan. I am running the desktop software download copy right now the copy from Inuit directly instead of the one from Amazon.

Module WinPerReleaseMsi 020'dot'000'dot'1738

Component TurboTax.exe 2020.48.29.87

JSCH
Level 2

In working on troubleshooting via FB messenger, I received a new download to try. I could not file federal + Michigan even after the manual update with the new download.

Based upon another reply in this thread, I decided to uninstall/reinstall that new version and just submit the  federal (without the infamous manual update) and had success. However, when returning to submit the state return, ended up with the same error.  It seems that there is a bug remaining in the state efile.

Hello~

Did you need to get a new activation code for the new download? If so, how do you get it?

Thanks

JSCH
Level 2

The rep created a new order ($0) for the new download. Although, I wonder if I had tried to submit only the federal without the manual update in the previous version, if it would have worked. I had always tried to submit both.  It seems the glitch is probably in the state.

As an update my Federal return has already been accepted by the IRS.

So you chatted with the Rep through Facebook messenger?

JSCH
Level 2

Yes via FB messenger. At least I could work in between the hoop jumping.

So the only other thing that is totally different from this year compared to all others, is I chose to have Audit Defense, and the state filing fee deducted from my refund.. Just for grins, I might try to re-file electronically and choose to pay the fee's by credit card. It could be something silly like that throwing off their coding. You never know. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies