turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

It looks like the Form 8911 section for Electric Vehicle Charging Stations had been added back, but it doesn't work. The credit always computes as zero dollars.

@larryvzirilli  - Line 10 is line 1 minus line 2 and has nothing to do with line 9 which is in Part II (Business Use).  Line 9 is Part III (Personal use).

You are mis-reading the line 10 instructions that says: "Subtract line 2 from line1.  If *ZERO* stop here...unless...".  

Since line 10 is NOT zero, you do not stop there.   You complete the personal use section and get the credit.

There is no error to catch.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

It looks like the Form 8911 section for Electric Vehicle Charging Stations had been added back, but it doesn't work. The credit always computes as zero dollars.

@macuser_22 , Okay, I see what you are saying.  That is what TurboTax did and the IRS sent correction in my tax owed by $212.  I guess I will call them and ask why that amount was disallowed.  Thanks for your help.

Yes, that is the course to take.  They might have some other reason for disallowing it or they just made a mistake.   The letter should have a contact number to call - be sure to give the case number on the letter when you call.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Will do.  Thanks @macuser_22 .  Appreciate you, brother!

Okay, here is the lowdown from my phone-call to the IRS.  They said there was no form 8911 transmitted with my return.  I have my printed copy from when I filed and the form is there.  The only thing I can figure is that during the above mentioned time that TurboTax was working on the 8911 form fix it somehow was unable to be transmitted electronically.  TurboTax, any possibility that this could be true.  I am supposed to make copies of everything and send to them, which I will do today.  Thanks everyone for your help and I will get back when final outcome is confirmed.  Approx 8-12 weeks.

The 8911 was not available for e-file until about 3/8/2018.   I know of no way to verify that it was actually transmitted but there is no reason to believe that it was not.   Because, adding the 8911 form also required changes in the IRS e-file software (MeF system)  and changes in the main IRS processing system to accept that form, there is also a chance that the IRS e-file received the form but lost it or failed to forward it to the main processing system.

I know of no way to track any specific form to see where and who lost it - the IRS was updating there systems software almost ever Sunday night during that period.

That form has not yet been released for e-filing by the IRS. The estimated date is 3/8/2018.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908854-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-federal-products-exc...

They shouldn't have added it back to the site if it doesn't work though.  It was gone for awhile, but now is back and totally broken...

The 8911 form says "Do Not File" on it until it is finalized by the IRS.
dGKodes

What is the status of this? It still computes to zero as of 3/10/2018.
dGKodes

What is the status of this? It still computes to zero as of 3/10/2018.

It works fine for me.  Where do you get zero?

Look at lines 10-19 on the 8911 form for the calculations.   If your tax liability is zero then there is nothing to credit.

Mine calculated To $212 credit but when filed it was rejected by IRS and I was sent a bill.

Turned out the form 8911 did not transmit, although it did print out on my paper copy.  Should not have been accessible if it could not transmit.  Or at least some red flag should have shown up to hold until complete.
buzzbeat

I have a similar issue in 2019 (as of 2/1) - all lines in the form note "Reserved for Future Use" and no calculations are showing. TT indicated that the forms were ready according to the IRS
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies