turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

It looks like the Form 8911 section for Electric Vehicle Charging Stations had been added back, but it doesn't work. The credit always computes as zero dollars.

@buzzbeat you are commenting on a year old post about 2017 taxes.    The 2018 forms should be available soon with an update.   Be sure your software is up to date if using the desktop version.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
buzzbeat

It looks like the Form 8911 section for Electric Vehicle Charging Stations had been added back, but it doesn't work. The credit always computes as zero dollars.

Thanks, appreciate the note. This is the only thread TT support was able to direct me to on the topic. The download version (Deluxe) noted that the form was updated officially as of yesterday (2/1) but am hoping that they made a mistake and it will be up soon.

As of 2/4/19, fields not ready. What credits go in 15a,b to determine if you've got remaining tax owed? I got an EV in 2018 also, does that credit apply before the charging station in 15a,b? If so, I'm in a refund so this would be zero. Thx!
buzzbeat

Finally got someone at TT that knew a bit more. Congress has yet to approve the extension for this credit - it appears to be an annual extension. I did a bit more digging and last year it was part of the the Bipartisan Budget Act that was funded around Feb 9th. My guess is that if it makes the cut this year it will be included in the Tax Extenders part of the Government grid here - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.crfb.org/blogs/upcoming-congressional-fiscal-policy-deadlines">http://www.crfb.org/blogs/...> ... I'm going to wait until the new budget package gets signed (or we have another shutdown) to see if it makes the cut and then file. The support person noted that an extension could be filed if they do pass this later - but given how little is making it through these days I won't be getting my hopes up!
jdcosgrove
Returning Member

was REALLY DIFFICULT getting a clear answer as to what was going on here. Why did Turbo Tax release this form knowing it was not usable??!!  
buzzbeat

I just downloaded the final text of the Consolidated Appropriations Act - I searched the doc and was unable to find anything related to an extension for the EV charging station. Additionally, Sen. Grassley noted that the Tax Extenders, where this credit is found, are not in the bill. He is working on getting them passed - but I doubt he will introduce on the Act and slow it down. Here's his speech on the floor: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.grassley.senate.gov/news/news-releases/grassley-tax-extenders-and-disaster-tax-relief">h...> - if the at goes through unchanged I'm simply going to file now and amend later if/when the extenders are passed.
buzzbeat

UPDATE: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://biomassmagazine.com/articles/15986/grassley-wyden-introduce-tax-extenders-bill">http://biomas...>

Tax extenders bill introduced. <SNIP> below ...

Another provision of the bill extends through 2019 is the credit for alternative fuel vehicle refueling property, which can be claimed for the installation of alternative fuel vehicle refueling property placed in service before 2020. The credit is available for property that dispenses alternative fuels, including ethanol, biodiesel, natural gas, hydrogen and electricity. The credit is capped at $30,000 per location for business property and $1,000 for property installed at a principal residence.
88bills
Returning Member

When will this be added, and how do i Enter it?

@88bills wrote:

When will this be added, and how do i Enter it?

Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit - Estimated date available 02/12/2020

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

I received an email notification this morning saying the 8911 form was ready and I was able to enter an amount for my Energy-Efficient Vehicle Charging Station. However, the app said my credit was $0. And when I went to the Federal Review step, it shows the Form 8911 was "available soon." So perhaps that is why the credit was still showing as $0? It seems that TT has not fully updated the form or their process for being able to submit it?

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

TurboTax has released an update to Form 8911.  Follow these steps to insure that TurboTax is using the updated Form 8911. 

• Clear your browser's cookies and cache 

• Delete Form 8911  

• Enter your information on Form 8911 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks. I am a mac app user, so it wasn't a browser cache issue. The issues was I didn't notice that I could go to "Forms" and see the application flip over to show all the forms! Very slick, and sad at the same time when seeing the credits for personal use calculations, it seems I don't qualify for extra credits for the charger. Oh well. It's still a good thing to have.

I reinstalled TurboTax 2018 and updated it. It is still showing the old form and not giving me the credit for the charger I installed. How do I "delete the form" on the PC version of TurboTax?

JakailaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please use this article for instructions and tips on how to delete forms via Turbo Tax Online: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-view-and-delete-forms-in-turbotax-online/0...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm still a little confused. If I want to amend my 2018 return to include the credit for alternative fuel charging on form 8911, do I delete the form on the 2018 version of TurboTax or do I file the amended return using the 2019 version? 

If I delete the existing 8911 form, how do I use the current version of form 8911? If I use the 2019 TurboTax, the first question it asks is if I'm amending the 2019 tax return, which I am not trying to do.

How should I proceed?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies