Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Will 2020 Turbo Tax run in Windows 7

Yes of course.  The computer you use doesn't matter.  You can even go from Windows to Mac.   The 2020 Desktop program transfers from a 2019 file.  Here's how to move.  You only need the tax return data file ending in .tax2019 to transfer into 2020.

For Windows. Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2016, .tax2017, .tax2018, .tax2019 etc. They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder. You should also have the pdf files of each year. Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax. Also if you haven't done it, I would open each year in the program and save it as a pdf file, go to FILE - SAVE TO PDF so you don't need the program installed to view your return.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents. That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored. Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them. Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

Thanks for the reply VolvoGirl.

I like your excellent suggestions! Very glad to hear the win 7 created .tax2019 file is compatible with the Win 10 OS and 2020 TT program. That is a load off my mind. 😊

@wbearYes, win10 version of TT 2020 can import 2019 TT file created last year in/on win7 machine. It may not find the right file automatically, but you can manually point it there. I would recommend that instead of accepting the auto-find result, in any case. I recently completed such an import process (and shipped off my return last night). I used TT2020 inside a Virtual Machine of win10, running inside windows 7, as I posted about above in this thread. I started with an import of last years 2019, as mentioned. Cheers!

floyjane
Returning Member

I bought the CD but have windows 7.  How do I download online and use my license code?

You can't apply the Desktop CD/Download purchase to Online.  You have to pay for Online separately.  You will have to get a refund for the Desktop program.  Then you can use the Online web version.  Or try to upgrade your computer or find another computer to install it on.  The CD has both Windows and Mac programs on it.

Or Call in for a refund. When you fill out the from use the word BILLING ISSUES instead of the word “refund.” Contact Customer Service 5am-9pm Pacific time 7 days a week, https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

They might give you a service code to use the online version.

If you used the Desktop program last year here’s How to transfer into the Online version, expand the blue link if you used the CD/download last year

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-...

If you used the Desktop program before you may notice several differences and not like the online version.  It has less features and no Forms Mode.  You can only do 1 return.  Your return is only saved online so be sure to save both the .tax2020 data file and the pdf file to your computer when you are done.  In case you need to amend in the future or if you need a copy to get a loan or something.  You might not be able to access your online return when you need a copy.

Start an Online return here,

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

ok so either you buy me windows 10 or i will go to H&R block, deal?? i await your reply, hahahaha

@finnefo wrote:

ok so either you buy me windows 10 or i will go to H&R block, deal?? i await your reply, hahahaha

Sorry, H&R Block also requires Windows 8.1 or higher using their software.

How could you do this to people????? You never mentioned on the box that it would not work with Windows 7. You ripped me off. I will NEVER us your products again. You have so angered me at the worst possible moment. It's like you don't want me to be your customer, you want an enemy. Bastards!!!!  How could you do this to people?????

MoogieDog

This is pathetic.  I have used Intuit products for as long for I remember.  And now they want to force me to spend good money to upgrade to a bad OS in Windows 10?!  Please.  Bill Gates has more than enough money.  And Windows 10 has more than enough bugs.  I will try another package next time around.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

As of January 14, 2020, Microsoft no longer provides security updates or support for PCs running Windows 7.   Because of this, TurboTax does not support Windows 7 with the 2020 software.  

Here are the operating system requirements for TurboTax 2016 through 2020 software for Windows Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business, and Business editions. We no longer sell or support TurboTax for 2015 or earlier tax years.

Operating System

• 2020: Windows 8 or higher (Windows 7 not supported)
  • 2019: Windows 10, Windows 8.0/8.1. Although TurboTax 2019 will install on Windows 7 (Service Pack 1 or later), we strongly recommend upgrading your operating system before installing. More info
  • 2017 and 2018: Windows 10, Windows 8.0/8.1, or Windows 7 (Service Pack 1 or later)
  • 2016: Windows 10, Windows 8.0/8.1, Windows 7 (Service Pack 1 or later), or Windows Vista (Service Pack 2 or later)

Administrator rights are required to install and run TurboTax.       @MoogieDog

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I agree with everything others are saying.  I have all Linux at my

Home and Business.  I only use Windows on a VirtualBox VM, just

for running TurboTax.  Nothing else.   I am capable of judging my

own security risk.  I especially agree that pushing users to online

is NOT more secure.

Also, as other have said.  I have used TT since the early 90s.

Maybe as long as it has existed.  All Intuit needs to do, is let the

Install work, with a warning of the risks.

What about my long task history on the Windows7 VM I have

been using in recent years.  That is also handy and a reason to

continue as long as possible on the existing Windows7 VM.

I never thought I would switch to your competitors.  But this

is a hard push.  For nothing.  Print the warning and let the user

override the install.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

The reason why Turbo Tax will not run on a Windows 7 platform is that Microsoft no longer offers software support for Windows 7.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did apply for a refund and never got it back!!!! I stated why I bought it as an employee at TurboTax said there was a workaround and I should buy it and could use with windows 7. Uh....NO.... I had to call again and ask someone to give me my refund. I did it with online turbotax. As last poster said, how secure is that ?  I would have preferred the desktop version as anything online drags down the system.

i do not need or want software support from microsoft, that is my business and responsibility, i want to run the programs i want in windows 7, period, dont shift the blame to them unless you and microsoft want to make mo money by forcing peeps to windows 10 and you get your cut of the profits, no reason why tt wont run the same way as last year in windows 7, i will find a solution and it wont be tt or windows 10

No DaveF1006 - I respectfully disagree with your answer.  Remember last year when Microsoft wasn't updating Win &?  Did TT work on it or didn't it?  It DID work on Win 7 last year.  Why - because last year Intuit let us decide.  TT not working this year has nothing to do with Microsoft's decision not to continue to update Win 7.  This year, Intuit looks to see what OS you are running and deciding if they will let you install TT or not.  Plenty of programs continue to install and run on Win 7 including Microsoft's own program.   No it is completely up to Intuit so if you want to accurately point fingers, point them at Intuit!  

I appreciate that Intuit would like to run its products on a safe OS to help protect its customers.  But as we all can see by the monthly (and sometimes more often) updates we get to ALL OSs, none should be considered safe.  In fact there are Win 10 problems that don't exist in Win 7 so that would make Win 7 safer right?!!  I've been in IT for over 40 years and a good portion of  that in IT security.  I appreciated what Intuit did last year - if they detected anything other than Win 8 or 10 they warned us and let us decide if we wanted to continue.  In fact, they warned us EVERY time we started TT and made us agree to continue.  I believe that is a good solution for all.  They CYTA and let us make the choice to continue and we assume the risk.

John

PS - Oh no, I just realized I'm typing this on a Win 7 machine!!  I wonder if Intuit will let me click the Post button!!!  😉

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies