turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why would I owe into Iowa for taxes this year when I previously receive a refund? I am also receiving alot more in refund from Wisconsin. WI resident

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Why would I owe into Iowa for taxes this year when I previously receive a refund? I am also receiving alot more in refund from Wisconsin. WI resident

If you had Wisconsin tax withheld instead of Iowa (look at boxes 15-17 on the W2), that may explain the change. In general, the withholding is like a deposit and after the tax is computed, any excess withholding (if any) is refunded.  Your withholding is done to the state where you work.

Did you work in Iowa for the same company in all of 2020?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I figured out it’s actually some glitch in the turbo tax system. I re-entered all of my same information and no longer owed into Iowa...unfortunately turbo tax is somehow changing my information on my w2s after they are entered...

SamS1
Expert Alumni

I would recommend logging out of TurboTax, clearing your browser cache and cookies, then logging back in and running your review again.  Cookies are small files that temporarily store data on your computer. We use them to personalize your experience so you see information you already entered and not items that are irrelevant or repetitive.  On rare occasions, they may make your browser think you already did something that you still need to do. To fix that, you'll need to delete (clear) the cookies from your browser.  Each browser has a slightly different method for deleting cookies. Choose the browser you're using:

The pandemic has affected your taxes in many ways. Including reporting in TurboTax the amount of stimulus money you received. Click Here for more information on how the Pandemic affected your 2020  taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies