turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cjpfalz

Cannot transfer 2015 data file from desktop to turbotax online

Tried everything.  Spent over 4 hours with tec today.  looks like it can't be done.  Have turbotax 2015 from disk need to transfer to turbotax online.  Get the message the selected file is not a previous year tax file or is corrupt everytime.  If the file is corrupt why can I open it from the disk version.  Is there a data limit on the size of file to be transfered it is a large return 5.17 mb
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

@cjpfalz
See the answer I left you below.  I think it explains your transfer problem, although it may be a month too late.

This may not help you at this late date, but I just ran across your thread from last month tonight.

I see you are using Windows XP.  The developers made password protection mandatory for TurboTax data files on XP machines for 2015.   You cannot transfer the 2015 data file from desktop to a 2016 online return while it is password-protected.

TurboTax in Windows XP will probably not let you remove the password.  You will probably not have a "Remove Password" button (see screen image.) 

Here's how to check.  Launch your 2015 TurboTax program and open the *.tax2015 data file.  When the return is open, click in the top left corner on FILE, then in the dropdown choose "password."   In the popup is there a "Remove password" button?   (see screen image)

I suspect on your XP machine that "remove password" button likely won't be there.  However,  I believe it would take a Windows 7 machine (or higher) to remove the password from the XP password-protected file, or to transfer it into a 2016 return.  Do you have a Windows 7 or higher machine where you can install your 2015 TurboTax and remove the password?

ADDENDUM 3/30/17:
Thanks to user "blkdimnd" below who also reports the password can be removed with a Mac computer as well:
When using a Mac, install the 2015 software on a computer as follows:
"Mac OS X 10.9 or higher and choose Encrypt in the File drop-down list to get to the password controls and remove the password."

Mark3

Why was this done? Why was NO OPTION made for being able to Remove the password, or enable Online TurboTax to Ask for the password and Do the transfer? I do Not have the budget to purchase a New computer to install 2015 TurboTax and remove the password.

I don't work for TurboTax and can't speak for them.   TurboTax once told me they did that in Windows XP to protect the user from ID theft since Microsoft was no longer updating Windows XP with security updates.   So they made it mandatory.   I don't think they should have taken away the "remove pasword" button, however.  In my opinion, that should be a personal choice after being informed of the risks.  It would have probably been better to have a big popup warning if people wanted to remove it.

I'm sorry, but there does not appear to be a way to remove the  password other than with a Windows 7 computer.  

ADDENDUM 3/30/17:
       Thanks to user blkdimnd below who also reports the password can be removed with a Mac computer as well:
       When using a Mac:
       "Mac OS X 10.9 or higher and choose Encrypt in the File drop-down list to get to the password controls and remove the password. "

Do you have a trusted relative or friend where you could install TurboTax 2015 long enough to open your file and remove the password?  If you do that, be sure their system is secure and that you don't leave traces of your tax info and personal info behind.

@Mark
Another user "blkdimnd" below has reported the password can also be removed from the XP-password-protected file using a Mac computer with OS X 10.9 or higher so I amended the comment above.
JohnR

Sorry, there is no way to transfer your file from the desktop platform to the online platform.  (You can do the reverse, but not what you're asking to do).

And about the file corruption read this link

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900386-error-the-selected-file-is-not-a-previous-year-tax-file-or...

Mark3

Isn't the WHOLE use of Transfer, to get a Local Desktop file and Transfer that data to the Online TurboTax? Desktop platform to Online platform. When I tried Transfer, it asked for the file on My Local Hard Drive.. My Desktop platform.

Either the first statement in the Answer above was referring to switching a 2016 desktop file to a 2016 online return, (which can't be done) or is incorrect.    It IS possible for most people to normally transfer a desktop 2015 data file into a new 2016 online return.   In fact, here are the directions, but I realize this won't help you at this point since you probably already know HOW to do it:

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900883-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-turbotax-online">https://...>

If your 2015 file was password-protected, that's why you cannot transfer it into a 2016 online return.   And if Windows XP, the password cannot be removed without a Windows 7 or higher computer.

EDITED:  See next comment below.  A user reports a Mac computer with OS X 10.9 or higher can remove it as well.
blkdimnd

@epo39b - Thanks for your answers as I had the same problem, but just used a Mac to remove the password.  You need Mac OS X 10.9 or higher and choose Encrypt in the File drop-down list to get to the password controls and remove the password.  Intuit should not have forced passwords on XP users without being able to remove it for transferring and shame on tech support for not providing a solution.  This has been incredibly frustrating.

@blkdimnd
Thanks for reporting your experience in removing the XP-created  password using a Mac.  That's good to know the method works in that platform as well.    I amended my answer and comment above to include your information in that regard for any Mac users who see the thread.
Mark3

Thanks for the further info. But, I don't have access to a Mac either. Any way for TurboTax Online to add a way to Transfer Passworded tax files? I KNOW the CORRECT password. I was able to open the return with my 2015 TurboTax program. So, they just have to set up something that: 1) Sees that the file has a password. 2) Asks the user to give the password. 3) If the password is Correct, Transfer the data from the file. If the password is Wrong. Do Not transfer the data.
Hmmm.. So, the way they (Intuit) has set this up, I might have a problem accessing my 2015 Tax Return file, with anything BUT the 2015 Cd software. I have to be sure NOT to Lose that Cd!!
blkdimnd

This is an issue created by Intuit in their wisdom to force a password onto XP users.  I don't know what Intuit can do but I would think they could come up with a solution to either give you the option to remove the password on the XP machine, save the file and upload it or as you suggest to unlock the file as part of the upload process.  Right now it seems like you are stuck with finding a Windows 7 or Mac you can temporarily borrow to unlock the file.  I did not want to load this software on another computer and subsequently deleted it as soon as I could (I saved an unlocked version of the file if I need to refer to it in the future) but I could not find another option.  I raised this question back in February, but for some reason my question was "archived or deleted."
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies