I opted to have the $79.98 charge from using TurboTax Deluxe taken from my refund so that it would not have to come out of my bank account. I haven't received my refund yet, and TurboTax just charged me the amount out of my bank account. Why is this? Are they allowed to do this?
Why was my bank account auto-debited for TurboTax fees?
When you filed your 2017 tax return, you chose the Refund Processing Service (aka pay-with-your-refund) which lets you deduct your TurboTax fees from your IRS tax refund instead of paying them with a credit or debit card.
Per the Refund Processing Agreement, you authorized us to debit your bank account if your refund was insufficient to cover your fees:
In addition, by clicking the "I Agree" button below, you electronically sign and authorize Intuit (through its third party processor) to debit the TurboTax Fees, Additional Products and Services Purchased and any applicable sales tax from your bank account number identified in the Agreement below, in the event that you do not receive a tax refund that is sufficient to pay for them.
Before we debited your account, you would have received 4 emails from us:
1. An email with instructions to pay your TurboTax fees (minus the Refund Processing fee, if any) online by a certain date.
2. Two more follow up emails asking that you either pay or request a deferment to prevent the fees from being automatically debited from your bank account.
3. A final email letting you know that we're debiting the fees (minus the Refund Processing fee, if any) and that the auto-debit process cannot be stopped.
You can also be auto-debited if you signed up for Refund Processing and your refund is sufficient, but the IRS is still holding your refund 36 days after your original estimated refund date. In this case, you'll get the same email notifications from us, except we will debit the Refund Processing fee (if any) in addition to your other TurboTax fees.Related Information:
I always use turbotax and I always choose to have my fee deducted from my refund my refund was $2544. I did my taxes back in February and I got $115.50 deducted today 5/8/20. I have no idea why and I haven't received any emails prior to this happening
You should have gotten 4 warning emails telling you this would happen ... nothing you can do about it now ...
REASONS YOU MAY NOT GET THE CONFIRMATION E-MAILS
- You did not click the TRANSMIT MY RETURNS NOW button and/or did not *F*I*N*I*S*H* working through the program after you did click it.
- The e-mail address you provided is wrong
- The email was moved to your junk, trash or spam folder by your email program, or depending on how things are set up on your end, the email was deleted entirely.
- Your e-mail provider marked the e-mail as spam and moved it to your *ONLINE* junk, trash or spam folder, or just deleted the email entirely with no notification to you. That’s your provider’s fault. Not yours or TurboTax’s fault.
- You deleted the email without reading it, mistaking it for spam from TurboTax.
Still have questions?Make a post