Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why is form 8995A still unavailable?

I am very disappointed that TurboTax hasn’t figured out how to get this form working. It’s February 16th! The form is available on the IRS site and this bureaucratic mess shouldn’t delay people from filing. You guys need to get this fixed ASAP. 

@Peiffer223  wrote:

I am very disappointed that TurboTax hasn’t figured out how to get this form working. It’s February 16th! The form is available on the IRS site and this bureaucratic mess shouldn’t delay people from filing. You guys need to get this fixed ASAP. 

Even the IRS has the availability of the 8995-A as To Be Determined for e-fling - https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/list-of-available-free-file-fillable-forms

TurboTax Form 8995-A, Qualified Business Income Deduction - 02/20/2020

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

@Peiffer223  wrote:

The form is available on the IRS site ...

Yes, the *paper* version is on the IRS site.  You can download that and the 1040 forms  and do by hand if you want.

The paper version and electronic version that the IRS must provide are totally different.

Another hangup is not only does TurboTax have to program it's end, the IRS must program their e-file system to be able to *read*  and *process* the data sent by TurboTax.  The IRS assigns priorities and does common forms first and pushes lesser used forms to later.   Until the IRS programs their end, TurboTax is in limbo, even is TurboTax is ready on it's end.  The IRS has the bigger job to do, not only does the IRS  e-file system be programed to accept the revised form, the entire IRS main processing system has to be programed to accept what it is end by the e-file system. There are many news articles as to how short handed and slow the IRS is this year.

So is is much more complex than just TurboTax getting the form ready.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Level 15

@lk55 

Look at your 1099-Div box 5 ... that is what is triggering the 8995A.

NOT TRUE! Mine had nothing (i.e. zero number)  there in box 5 (section 199a dividends). Still, 8995a was triggered. 

I'd suggest TurboTax  change the notification to users. "The government is still working to finish this form" is not really correct.  More accurately TurboTax should tell users "we (TurboTax) are still testing the new  2019 version of Form 8995A, and we  expect to have this form available for users on February 20th."

I would  feel a little less frustrated and angry if TurboTax just told the truth instead of blaming "the Government".

@sarasotakid wrote:

I would  feel a little less frustrated and angry if TurboTax just told the truth instead of blaming "the Government".

Would it make you a little less angry if you were made aware that other tax preparation software companies are having the same issue? One of those firms has a release date for 8995-A of March 5th.

My professional program just released it yesterday ... this is an issue for all parties involved.  That is not an easy form to integrate ... in fact I am so happy the program will do it for me as I don't want to do it manually. 

Nobody is talking about free file. Free file is not for businesses filing a schedule C!

Then stop saying it is an IRS delay...no, it is a TURBOTAX DELAY...don't be so stupid aggressive.

@jesses408 wrote:

Nobody is talking about free file. Free file is not for businesses filing a schedule C!

The TurboTax Free File program software does include a Schedule C - https://freefile.intuit.com/

That's nice - nobody in their right mind would use Free File to do a schedule C, and nobody here is talking about it either except the people trying to give bad advice and excuse the fact Intuit taking 3 months to make a 2-page form work correctly

@jesses408 wrote:

.....the fact Intuit taking 3 months to make a 2-page form work correctly

It is not just Intuit with respect to Form 8995-A.

@jesses408 wrote:

That's nice - nobody in their right mind would use Free File to do a schedule C, and nobody here is talking about it either except the people trying to give bad advice and excuse the fact Intuit taking 3 months to make a 2-page form work correctly

Why not?  The Free File Program uses the exact same software as the TurboTax Self-Employed online edition.

The Free File Program edition is a full featured personal tax program and on a separate website from the TurboTax online editions.

To qualify for free 2019 federal and state tax returns with the Free File Program, you'll need to meet at least one of these requirements:

• A maximum 2019 adjusted gross income (AGI) of $36,000; or
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • You served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum 2019 AGI of $69,000 (you'll also need a military-issued W-2).

@jesses408 wrote:

...Intuit taking 3 months to make a 2-page form work correctly

There is more involved than just TurboTax.  The other end (the IRS e-file computer) must also be programed so that it can accept and read the revised form and when the IRS e-file computers forward that form to the IRS main processing system, that system also must be upgraded to process that revised form.

Until ALL the parts of the system are ready to work together the form cannot be released for public use.   As of now the IRS will not even commit to a date when they will be ready.  The IRS site only says "to be determined".

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@macuser22

This is getting ridiculous...The blame game starts. Could be IRS, could be TurboTax! Welcome to lazy and incompetent America.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies