Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why can't I import Vanguard Mutual Fund 1099's?

I have been trying for two weeks to import from Vanguard Group - Mutual Fund Accounts 

I am  NOT referring to Vanguard Brokerage accounts, these  imported correctly.

Each time I attempt to import the forms, the date changes in the message below:

Vanguard Group - Mutual Fund Accounts is under maintenance until 2/5/2024 at 1:00:00 PM

Try again later. (105)

I did try uploading the forms from my computer but they are not importing correctly, its interpreting the account number as a distribution amount.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I wouldn't waste any time on importing.  I manually enter my Vanguard, even the brokerage ones.  

It's just as fast and easier to manually enter your W2 or 1099. Don't type the bank name or try to import it.
At the bottom pick - Change How I enter my Form

Then on the next screen pick - I'll Type it in Myself

View solution in original post

10 Replies

since importing the brokerages worked, it would seem to be a Vanguard issue with those funds. So contact them for help.

I wouldn't waste any time on importing.  I manually enter my Vanguard, even the brokerage ones.  

It's just as fast and easier to manually enter your W2 or 1099. Don't type the bank name or try to import it.
At the bottom pick - Change How I enter my Form

Then on the next screen pick - I'll Type it in Myself

If there was just one or two funds manual entry would be no big deal but there are 8 funds. Importing was so nice because with a couple clicks in past years everything  showed up perfectly.

That said, I did manually enter no problem but it would be nice if auto import worked. Calling Vanguard would be more painful than just manually enterring.

Now that I think about it, Vanguard has been pushing clients away from the Mutual Fund platform for years and is now charging to remain there, so they are likely no longer supporting auto import.

I agree using Turbo tax to import is a wast of time. It used to work just fine but I can't even get past the verify images of buses, stairs, crosswalks, on and on, -- total waste of time  why use TT at all.

mp74
Level 2

I have not been able to import Vanguard Mutual Fund 1099R for the 2022 tax year or the most recent tax year 2023.  Also my 1099B Brokerage account forms and 1099 DIV forms for both tax years have had to be typed in.

Numerous emails back and forth with Vanguard have not resolved the situation, so I threw up my hands and had to quit wasting my time with Vanguard technical and  Flagship account representatives in order to get my tax filing done. 

After typing in my 1099B info for the Vanguard Brokerage account, the turbo tax software said the IRS would still require a copy of the 1099B information either by mail or by importing the pdf form which I had downloaded to my desk top.

I should note that my Fidelity tax forms 1099R, 1099DIV and 1099B imported easily to turbo tax as they have for many years.  I also had success with Vanguard up until tax years 2022 and 2023.

I had no trouble in 2022 importing Vanguard Mutual Fund 1099-DIV's. Just had to enter user name and PW and it sucked them all in. This year was a mess.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you are using TurboTax Online, try importing using a different browser.

See the following TurboTax Help articles for potential fixes:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I can't import my 2023 Vanguard Brokerage 1099s. It worked for 2022. When will this widespread error be fixed?  I have too many entries to manually type them in.

One of the primary reasons I chose TT  was the seamless import experience for numerous 1099-DIV statements which saved a ton of time. This constant suggestion to "type in manually" undermines the premium price point of TT.

mp74
Level 2

Typing in the Vanguard 1099 R is no big deal, although it used to be nice to import them to your TT return to avoid inadvertent number transpositions etc.  But the Vanguard 1099 B and DIV can be very tedious and difficult to type in if you have a variety of investments and brokerage transactions for the sale of stock.

I have made numerous calls to both TT and Vanguard about the inability to import Vanguard tax forms for the tax year 2022 and 2023.  I have had no problem with importing Fidelity tax forms 1099Rs, !099DIV and !099B.  And the Fidelity 1099 Bs show proceeds from various stock sales at different times.  Vanguard staff are responsive but do not seem to particularly concerned when I point out the import problem is, from my standpoint, only with them and not with other financial institutions I do business with.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies