Why am I being asked to pay in for state taxes whe...

bronwynahrens

Why am I being asked to pay in for state taxes when I amended my original state return to unclaim any homestead credit?

I was originally getting $800 from state taxes but they were requiring me to send in a renters certificate for the homestead credit, which I didn’t mean to claim any. I amended my return and changed my homestead credit questions to where I wouldn’t be claiming anything and now it’s tellin me I owe in $600 even though I haven’t received anything from the original amount?

Amended returns should only be done when the original return has been fully processed and the original return is in hand.   If you don't send in the required form to support the credit then the return will be recomputed by the state and the original refund will be reduced so you will not need to amend the return.   If you look at the amendment it will reflect the refund you did not get ... if you zero out that amount and recompute the rest of the return you should see the corrected refund that the state will also come to.   Read the notice carefully ... do they require you to amend  OR  will they make the correction for you if you do not respond or respond that it was a mistake.  Follow the notice directions carefully. 

BronwynA

I did not receive my original state return money yet because they were requiring me to send in additional forms. I was hoping to amend it and take away that homestead credit because I don’t have the forms they were requiring me to send to get my money. Sorry if you have already answered this but I am very lost and haven’t had an issue like this before so I am trying to truly understand. Thank you. 

AmyC

@BronwynA Do no amend your tax return. Simply tell the state you don't have the forms and they will adjust your return. Amended returns are only done after the original is finished and settled. Yours is not done and an amended will not be needed when done.