turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Which 2023 TurboTax Product Should I Buy?

I have a small state pension income (less than $10,400/yr gross), interest income from bank accounts (less than $5,200), my Traditional IRA (all stock) partial conversion to a ROTH IRA (my own), and a tiny bonus check from my spouse's employer (less than $450) that was made out to my spouse who died in 2022 but that I need to claim as income for me.

I also inherited my spouse's 401(k)s and such, but I don't think I have to report any of that, and some of it has not been dealt with yet. I don't believe I have much of anything else that I can think of. I do not have any dependents and I am on Medicaid and COBRA currently, so I do have some medical premiums I pay. I have not decided whether to claim them on my taxes or whether to use my HSA to pay for them.

Which 2023 product would be best for me if I want the TurboTax CD so I can use it on both a MAC and a Windows computer? Do I need Premier because of the IRA conversion?

I used Home and Business last year, but don't have a business this year because it was my spouse's. I may have self-employment income in the future, if that matters.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies

Actually you can buy any Desktop program.  They all have the same forms.  But Deluxe will work fine for you.   And this year you will probably file as Single unless you have a dependent, so you should start a brand new return and not transfer from 2022.  

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You could start out using TurboTax Online.   You can access your online account from any computer, MAC or Windows.   If you want to use the CD desktop version of the program, you can use any version, but you would need both the MAC and Windows installation files/CDs.    All desktop versions cover everything; the names of the versions change based on how much interactive help and guidance the program provides.  

Also, if you start out in the Online version, you can switch to the desktop version at any time.   In any case, TurboTax can handle your situation.   Start out in the FREE or Deluxe version online and upgrade only if you need to.    If you decide to use just the desktop version, you can use Deluxe, Premier or Home & Business, but you will need separate installations for MAC and Windows.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If I were to start a new return, though, wouldn't some of my information be lost, like the history of our IRA's and stuff? Can I transfer from my old and then just change to single status?

Does it look like I'd be eligible for the free version this year based on what I said is my income and situation?

Where specifically can I find my Carry Forward Loss detail/amount in Turbotax?  I see it on my schedule D of my tax return, but I want to know how much I have left so I can manage any gains I take this year. 

There is a capital loss carryforward worksheet in Turbotax.

the total c/f can also be computed by treating Schedule D line 16 as a positive number and then subtracting

line 21. if the result is positive that's the total c/f . if it's negative there is no c/f

Thanks!  Where do I find the c/f loss worksheet from my 2022 taxes in Turbotax?  I'm in Turbotax right now and it is guiding me through doing taxes for 2023, but I'm not sure how to get out of this and go to my 2022 taxes to find the worksheet. 

How to Access prior year online returns
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/00/270...

If you can't get the side menus to open up to access the prior year..... You need to start entering some basic Personal Info in 2023 for the side menu to open up. Just continue a little ways into 2023. I had to go though about 12 screens.

I cleared all cache/cookies and went to the link VolvoGirl provided and followed the instructions but it did not include the worksheets. I also started taxes for 2023 as recommended and went a few pages in with the basic info to see if I could get the left sidebar showing the Print Center.  It took me up the Income section, which I wasn't prepared to start. The left sidebar didn't show.  I did some other looking around and somehow found the Print Center on the left side.  When I went to print the 2022 TR it again did not show the worksheets.  I read somewhere that the PDF version TurboTax has on the Home page, doesn't include the worksheets.  The copy I have on my computer (.tax2022) also does not show the worksheets.

@DawnC 
I have entered all my data online, I guess with the Deluxe, though I don't know how I got bumped up from Basic. But, I am very frustrated because it won't let me review either my federal or state return and I can find no summary or the tools to let me see the forms. Can you tell me if it is a bug that I can't see the reviews? And, can you tell me where to find the forms?

Also, you said I could switch at anytime to the CD version, but I can see no way to transfer the data.
And, I made an estimated payment to my state, but I see nowhere that I was asked about it, and I can't look at the forms to see where to input it.
Do you have any advice? 

@CindyKR   How to switch to the Desktop program,

You need to buy and install the program on your computer and move your online return to the Desktop program. How to install the CD/Download program with a License Code
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/activating-turbotax-cd-download-software/00/852971

Then you can download the .tax2023 data file without paying for Online and continue in the desktop version.

First save your return as a tax data file from Online
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-turbotax-online-return-as-a-tax-data-...

See how to switch to the Desktop program,
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW). Enter some basic information, then go to the state tab and download the state program. Then try to open your existing return, go to FILE - OPEN

@CindyKR   To enter state estimated payments,

You enter state estimated payments under the federal side (because they can be a federal itemized Deduction). THEN after you finish filling out the estimates under Federal you need to click on the State Tab at the top and start the state return over for it to update.

Federal on left or at top. Personal (Home & Business)

Deductions and Credits

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Estimated - click the Start or Update button

And to review your Online return,

Before filing you can preview the 1040 or print the whole return. You have to pay any fees first before you can see all the forms, etc.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies