turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where to fill in my bank routing # and account #, and e-mail address

I'm using Turbo Tax Download Basic Version, and

1) I need to know where to fill in my bank routing number and my bank account number to use as direct deposit.   What I did, I switched to "forms" option, and clicked on "Info Wks" and under "Part V", I filled in manually the "Routing number" and "Account number".  Is this the right place to fill in this info?  I need to make sure about this info, before I e-file.

2) In addition, where can I include my e-mail address?  Since in f1040 hardcopy, there is a place to include my email address (in the "Sign Here" section), but can't find it in the "download basic" software. 

My email address is defined in my Turbo Tax profile, would it be populated automatically in f1040 from my Turbo Tax profile? Please advise.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

If you're getting a refund, we'll ask for your bank account info once you choose the direct deposit option (it's on the How would you like to receive your federal refund? screen in the File section).

Please click Where do I enter my bank's routing or account number? to learn more. 

The email address that you set up in your TurboTax profile will populate automatically where it is needed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello,

I'm not getting a refund, but I still need to fill in my bank info since any upcoming new future stimulus package will be automatically direct deposited to my bank if the bank info is already filled in.   Please note, I'm using Turbotax windows CD/download software in my PC,  for the first time  (before I used to file manually by downloading tax forms from IRS web).   Do I understand from your reply that if there is no refund, then the CD/download software will not prompt me to enter my bank info?  Could this be the reason? 

In my opinion filling the bank info should not be related to whether you are expecting a refund or not, like the hard copy, you fill in the bank info regardless if there is a refund or not.  Please advise.  Thank you

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

The IRS does not allow bank information to be included on a return with no refund.

HI,

I'm getting contradicting info, can you please check the last answer in the link below where I raised the question earlier.

According to the link below, I should be able to fill in my bank info, even I'm not getting a refund.  

If as you stated "The IRS does not allow bank information to be included on a return with no refund", then I need to go back and file my taxes manually on hard copies, and mail to IRS, since there I can include my bank info, that will be needed for any upcoming stimulus package.  Please advise.  Thanks,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-how-do-i-fill-in-my-bank-info-bank-direct-depo...

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

At this time, no instructions can be given on how to update banking information for the 3rd stimulus payment since legislation hasn't passed it yet and the IRS  has not provided clarification on how to do so. 

Thanks for your info.  Do I understand that if there is approval for the 3rd stimulus payment, then there will be a way to append or update my tax return, through turbotax, to include my bank info? Since I already e-filed my taxes for this year. Thanks for your assistance

Hi,

I e-filed my 2020 taxes using TurboTax, and since I don't have a refund, TT software did not prompt me to enter my bank info.  Stimulus 3 refund is approved for me, however, IRS does not have my bank info.  Now, Is there a way to electronically provide my bank info to IRS or amend electronically my tax to include my bank info?  When I checked "Get My Payment", I saw the note that says IRS will mail me a check starting April 2, 2021  which is not a good option for me, since I'm an expat working overseas, and the mail delivery there is not reliable.   For stimulus 1 and 2, IRS paid me using the direct deposit since I used to file my taxes manually using the hard copies, and used to enter my bank info manually.  I don't understand why IRS did not check my bank info from previous years, and also don't understand why TT software does not allow to enter the bank info when you don't expect a refund (like the hard copies).

If anyone can assist me, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 

If your bank information has not changed, then it would go to that same account as the first two. Please note that although many payments went out on the 17th of March, these were not all-inclusive of all checks to be distributed. The IRS has stated that there will be numerous "pay outs" as well as stating that they have until December 31st, 2021, to send out all payments. I do hope you are not one of the last ones! 

Here is literally the "latest" comment made by the IRS (8hrs ago):

The IRS is asking you don't call them about the status of your third stimulus. Instead, if you received a confirmation letter (Notice 1444 or Notice 144-B) from the IRS saying your payment was issued, but you didn't get it, you can request an IRS payment trace.    (8 hours ago)

You can check the status of your stimulus check using the  IRS Get My Payment Tool which updates once a day. It will show you how your money is being sent, either direct deposit or through the mail (paper check or debit card). If you get a "not available" status message, the IRS says you're either not eligible for a third stimulus check or your payment hasn't been processed yet. If you get a "need more information" message, you can enter your direct-deposit details to speed up your payment.

brownieruf
Returning Member

There is no place to select " How would you like to receive your federal refund? screen in the File section.

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

You may have to log out of the program, clear your cache and cookies, and log back in. Please see the TurboTax FAQ here for instructions on clearing your cache. See here for instructions on clearing your cookies. You may also try using another browser or using the phone app here if the above does not work. If none of these resolve the issue, contact customer support here for further assistance. 

@brownieruf

TaxSorry

I don't find that TurboTax Desktop populates the form automatically. Besides, if you are using the same install to submit taxes for multiple people, then the email will change based on who's tax is being submitted.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies