Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

RCMNASD
Returning Member

Where do you add your IP PIN?

There is no Jump to Pin in the search response!!!!!!!

@RCMNASD wrote:

There is no Jump to Pin in the search response!!!!!!!

To enter a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info
  • On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

Well, I don't see it on my Windows Premier 2020 version.  I tried to post a screenshot here but no go.

Here is what I see on the FEDERAL TAXES tab:

top line: File/Edit/View/Tools/Online/Help          Show Topic List     Print Center       Help Center

line 2: Tax Due/Refund amounts          Forms       Flags       Notifications    >>

Wait!  Clicking on the >> opens up a SEARCH box!  So I was (kind of) wrong.  Sorry.  But there was no need to require a secret handshake to find it...  There was/is plenty of room to post three search boxes in the remaining space on that row, based on the width I have the Turbotax window set to.

My apologies.

I'm having the same issue this year. There was no place to put my Son's IP PIN on my turbotax so it was rejected. I had to file a paper return.  That was february 12.  to date the IRS2GO shows my taxes still being processed. After using Turbotax for many many years and for this not to be addressed yet is not an argument to use them again. I can't even get a live person at the IRS to inquire about my status.

@Bori62 It is taking the IRS a very long time to process mailed returns because the IRS is severely backlogged.

If you are seeing on the site that your return is being processed, you do know that the IRS received the return.

From this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of June 23, 2021, we had 17.5 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to 2021, and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors.  We are rerouting tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues depends on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Well this is one of those problems that TurboTax has not handled well.  For the 2nd year in a row I had to print and manually mail my Federal & State Tax Returns because they forgot to ask us for the Federal PIN.  They charged $25 extra for electronic state filing that gets rejected and cannot be corrected - but they do say sorry about that - prior to telling you no refund.  So Lame!

I have the SAME problem EVERY year. I am never prompted to put it except during e-File it asks me for a Taxpayer PIN which is confusing -- something totally different that is only 5 digits instead of 6.  And finding where to put it AFTER it is REJECTED is really hard...  

You need to open the forms --- the Info Wks allows you to enter it PAGE 3.  

* It doesn't allow you to enter it on the 1040 Form directly -- even though it shows it there at the bottom signature line...

Will I remember NEXT year?  Probably NOT.  Will I use TurboTax?   Hmmm....

The 5 digit is not the IP PIN  (confusing!!!)  - it is a separate Taxpayer PIN used by ???

The IP PIN is 6 digit (as you know) -- and the only way to go there is to open the Forms and to Info Wks Page 3

If INTUIT would just ASK for IP PIN same place when filling the Taxpayer PIN and update the FORM the problem would be solved.

I'VE HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM FOR MANY YEARS... :(

@luanova9 wrote:

The 5 digit is not the IP PIN  (confusing!!!)  - it is a separate Taxpayer PIN used by ???

The IP PIN is 6 digit (as you know) -- and the only way to go there is to open the Forms and to Info Wks Page 3

If INTUIT would just ASK for IP PIN same place when filling the Taxpayer PIN and update the FORM the problem would be solved.

I'VE HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM FOR MANY YEARS... :(

To enter a 6 digit IP PIN

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Other Tax Situations
  • Scroll down to Other Return Info
  • On Identity Protection PIN, click the start button

Or enter ip pin in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ip pin

Lynda005

Ok 

marks4
Returning Member

That doesn't exist in 2021.  Or at least I wasn't able to find it. Any help out there?

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Assistance with applying your IP PIN to your return has been provided by clicking here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Assistance with applying your IP PIN to your return has been provided by clicking here

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gbarnas

Year after year, confusion between the IP-PIN and the self-sign pin, and the remediation process doesn't bring you to the right form. Most people should have registered with the IRS to obtain an IP-PIN. What we forget year to year is that you need to renew it each year.

BEFORE you E-File:
Log onto the IRS website and update your IP-PIN for each person on your tax return. Record the 6-digit PIN.

In TurboTax, click Forms - select Info Wks, scroll just past page 3 and enter the IP-PINs in the form:

taxform.PNG

NOW you can proceed with e-filing your tax return.

i am unable to locate where to add the IP PIN on my return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies