Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

NoCyaden

Where do u find my prior year self select PIN number?

I need help! Mine keeps getting rejected as well. I don't remember my 5 digit pin but my agi was 100% correct yet still denied. Do I input my agi when asking for 5 digit pin or enter nothing? I made up a new 5 digit pin because That's what I thought it was asking and that's my guess as to why it was rejected. 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

If your pin doesn't work, enter your AGI from last year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
NoCyaden

Okay I will try that after it gets rejected again because I submitted it with another new pin unknowingly :( Should have asked for help first.

@ NoCyaden wrote:

Okay I will try that after it gets rejected again because I submitted it with another new pin unknowingly :( Should have asked for help first.

"Do I input my agi when asking for 5 digit pin or enter nothing?"

Whichever one you use, it needs to go in its proper respective field; i.e., the AGI in the AGI field, or the PIN in the PIN field.   Don't enter the 2019 AGI in the PIN field when verifying an efile.    If you use the AGI to verify the efile, you can leave the PIN field blank.   But I believe you said you had already tried the AGI, and that it was rejected.  Did you correctly put the 2019 AGI in the AGI field or did you mistakenly put it in the PIN field??

Use the 2019 AGI from the original 2019 return--not an amended one.    But here's an exception:

Did you file the 2019 return real late in the year such as after mid-November 2020, or did the IRS have a long delay in processing it, and didn't finish processing it by mid-November 2020?   In either of those situations, you can try an AGI of 0 (zero) instead.

"I made up a new 5 digit pin because That's what I thought it was asking"

There is another screen that asks that to choose a PIN.  Maybe you are referring to this:
Separate from verifying an efile with AGI or PIN, there is yet another screen (it may be called Signature ID) that does have you choose a Self-Select PIN.  It will say to enter "any 5 digits of your choice" on that screen.   It is on a screen with today's date and your birthdate.  The Self-Select PIN you choose there is the one that can be used next year.   For this screen, you can either enter the same 5 digits you used last year, or you can create a new one if you don't remember last year's or if you just want a new one.

I agree that I have the same problem as Ron.  The AGI is correct from the prior year and yet I have been rejected twice for this year's filing for 2020.   I only efiled this year for the first time so do not have a self-select PIN from last year -- there is no way that  can match up with anything.  Am I stuck mailing all of this in again?

Use 0 for AGI.  See old post back in March. 

Lesson Learned:

When asked to "Sign Your Return", enter any 5 digits/numbers for your self-select personal identification number (and another for your spouse if married filing jointly).  Before continuing to the next screen, print that screen on paper and save it with other paper documents you retain for your taxes. Suggest not saving a digital copy in case someone hacks your computer and finds it.

It sounds like another challenge to get the IRS to provide you your self-select personal identification number after you file. This is because you'll probably only want to use the self-select PIN if there is a problem with the IRS accepting your prior year's AGI when e-filing.  My problem also had to do with ID Theft for our last year's return. 

dfdelony

My return keeps being rejected because of the AGI or my pin number from 2019.  I know my AGI number is correct.  How can I find out my pin from 2019 or create a new one?

@ dfdelony wrote:

My return keeps being rejected because of the AGI or my pin number from 2019.  I know my AGI number is correct.  How can I find out my pin from 2019 or create a new one?

Be sure you use the 2019 AGI from the original 2019 return--not an amended one.  It's on 2019 Form 1040, Line 8b.

If a joint return, both spouses use the same total 2019 AGI.  Do not divide or otherwise allocate it.

If you filed real late in the year, such as after mid-November 2020, use a 2019 AGI of 0 (zero).   Or if your return was processed real late by the IRS, such as not finished processing prior to November 2020, try AGI of 0.

Whatever you do, don't give up without trying a 2019 AGI of 0.  Sometimes it works without explanation.

To use your 2019 Self-Select PIN instead, you would have to have saved the PIN, or if you have access to a 2019 PDF with all the worksheets, you might find it toward the bottom of the page "Federal Information Worksheet."  When verifying with the prior-year Self-Select PIN, you use the PIN field and leave the AGI field blank.

mac42441
Returning Member

my efile was rejected. I double checked my AGI it is correct.  How do I find my 2020 pin .

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Please look at the response from mesquitebean above as it relates to locating your pin. Additionally, the 2 FAQ's below will assist with AGI rejection's as well as fixing rejected returns in general.

AGI Rejection

Fixing a rejected return

@mac42441

help find pin number

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you forgot your 5-digit PIN, it can not be reset or obtained from any of your paperwork. Only you had access to your 5-digit PIN.  To e-file, you can use last year's AGI if you don't know the PIN number. Please see, How do I find last year’s AGI? for more information.

@nilynandgreg

DrJ_007

Link:   www.irs.gov/Individuals/Electronic-Filing-PIN-Request

Page gives a 404 Page not found ... at least it did when I tried it.

I guess someone @ IRS doesn't like capital letters...

Perhaps use this one instead:

www.irs.gov/individuals/electronic-filing-pin-request

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies