Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I enter 1099-PATR taxable distributions received from a cooperative if I do not have farm income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Where do I enter 1099-PATR taxable distributions received from a cooperative if I do not have farm income?

Most often, Form 1099-PATR reports dividends associated with farms. However, you may also receive this form for other reasons, for example if you have your home mortgage from a land bank.

In general, the dividend that was reported to you on Form 1099-PATR can be entered on Schedule B using the following steps:

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income
  2. Scroll down to the Interest and Dividends section and click on the Start/Revisit box next to Dividends on 1099-DIV.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you receive any dividend income? (even though it was not reported on a 1099-DIV)
  4. On the next screen, click on I'll type it in myself.
  5. Enter the dividend information and continue through the rest of the interview.

There are situations were the 1099-PATR does not have to be entered.  If the dividends in Box 1 of your 1099-PATR came from property purchased for personal use (or capital assets or depreciable property used in your business), you do not have to enter your 1099-PATR. Keep it with your tax records, though.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies

What kind of co-op was it? Or are there dividends in Box 1 that come from purchase of property for personal use (or capital assets/depreciable property used in business)?

It was from the purchase of property (land and our home). It was definitely for our personal use. It was not used in a business and we are not involved in farming. We simply used this company, Capital Farm Credit, to finance the purchase of acreage on which to build our home.
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Most often, Form 1099-PATR reports dividends associated with farms. However, you may also receive this form for other reasons, for example if you have your home mortgage from a land bank.

In general, the dividend that was reported to you on Form 1099-PATR can be entered on Schedule B using the following steps:

1. Click on Federal > Wages & Income
  2. Scroll down to the Interest and Dividends section and click on the Start/Revisit box next to Dividends on 1099-DIV.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you receive any dividend income? (even though it was not reported on a 1099-DIV)
  4. On the next screen, click on I'll type it in myself.
  5. Enter the dividend information and continue through the rest of the interview.

There are situations were the 1099-PATR does not have to be entered.  If the dividends in Box 1 of your 1099-PATR came from property purchased for personal use (or capital assets or depreciable property used in your business), you do not have to enter your 1099-PATR. Keep it with your tax records, though.

Did you find the answer to this? I'm in the same situation with purchase of our home/property from AgSouth.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

This will explain, based on your situation, where it is entered. Where do I enter Form 1099-PATR?

We have a similar situation; we received a 1099-PATR form from AgSouth Farm Credit (for the March 2023 "patronage refund" check associated with our 50-acre land loan.)  We have no operating farm or other business with AgSouth; only the land mortgage. I've spent hours trying to figure out if the amount on the 1099-PATR (box 1) needs to be reported on our income tax return. Did you (or anyone else) find anything definitive? I'm 90% certain we don't need to report it, but I'd like to be 100% sure. Thanks!

PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

If the dividends in box 1 of your 1099-PATR came from property purchased for personal use (or capital assets or depreciable property used in your business), you don't have to enter your 1099-PATR. Keep it with your tax records, though.

Read more here: Where do I enter Form 1099-PATR?

@TaxesRtaxing 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies