Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where do I change my State filing Status from Married filing separately to Married filing jointly? I cannot find it under the Personal tab as suggested.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Where do I change my State filing Status from Married filing separately to Married filing jointly? I cannot find it under the Personal tab as suggested.

I found it. You have to go to the State Tax tab, update General Info Tab, then select the option to change my Iowa filing status.

TomK
Expert Alumni

Great. Thank you!

Your state software should be able to figure out the best filing status based on your income, taxes paid, etc.  I always file Married filing jointly but separately but this year's was a little different which I was lucky to catch.  By changing it to Married filing jointly (which I had problems figuring out where to change), I'm getting almost $200 more back.  Your software should have caught this...not me!
TomK
Expert Alumni

Change to Married Filing Jointly...

To enter/edit personal information into TurboTax:

1. Open your return (or continue if open).

2. Type “personal information” in Search box (upper right-hand corner of the screen)

3. Click on “Jump to personal information

4. Scroll down until you see section you want to update.

5. Click on "Edit" (to the right of your present filing status).

6. Click on Married radio button, etc., Click on "Continue" to finish.

Please see screenshots below:

That does not take me to the place to make the change for my state taxes to file jointly instead of married filing separately so this does not help me.

I found it.  You have to go to the State Tax tab, update General Info Tab, then select the option to change my Iowa filing status.

There is no filing status of married joint but filing separate.  There is married joint or married separate.  The program does not know the best status for you because the questions asked are different for each filing status.  If you changed the filing status, you needed to all the way back through and answer all the questions after the change, in order to get a correct return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies