Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When will the AMT form (6251) be ready?

@waikiulee wrote:

Any updates on when form 6251 will available for the tax year 2021 for filings in 2022?

Form 6251, Alternative Minimum Tax for tax year 2021 is estimated to be finalized and available in TurboTax on 02/24/2022

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

As DoninGa stated, Form 6251, Alternative Minimum Tax is currently scheduled to be released on February 24. You can check the status of the form's availability in the below link. 

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products

@waikiulee

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Why is this form holding up returns?  The form is available on the IRS website.  

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

It may take longer for one form or another to show up in TurboTax for multiple reasons. Our goal is to provide you with the most accurate information possible. As part of this process, we communicate often with the taxing agencies. You can monitor the status of the forms needed for your returns in the below TurboTax help articles. If forms become available sooner than the currently published date, the article will be updated to reflect the new availability date.

@BrassTaxs

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm in the same predicament. What's odd is that I have never had to include form 6251 in my federal income taxes, but for some reason, TurboTax seems to think that I need to include it this year. And the fact that it's not available, makes this even more confusing.  Ugh!!!

Thank you for providing that link! It's good to know that the form is now available, but I never received the email from TurboTax they promised to send upon its availability. Maybe a glitch in their software?

The promised dates for forms are not achieved (eg foreign tax credit form promised 2/18 is still not available on TurboTax but is available on HR Block).  This conveys that a). TurboTax lie b). HR Block is better.  Is that a fair interpretation?

Do you buy a car and find it won't go because a part is missing and think that's acceptable?

wendyt54

I still get the error from my desktop that from 6251 is not ready, is this accurate?

@wendyt54 wrote:

I still get the error from my desktop that from 6251 is not ready, is this accurate?

Form 6251, Alternative Minimum Tax is available. 

You need to update your software.

Click on Online at the top of the desktop program screen.  Click on Check for Updates.

I think they made it available a couple weeks ago. Your desktop software should automatically update when it launches, so it's odd that you're still getting that error.   Sounds like an Intuit bug that should be easily resolved after you spend two hours with their support staff.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies