Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

When I try to save my turbo tax form to my file on my Mac it says that my file is locked. Then turbo tax as me if i want save it anyway? I click this box. Is my file saved or not and why does it say my file is locked?

Hi New Member.  I can't tell you how many people, maybe hundreds, have had problems saving files on TT.  Instead of TT fixing their problems they rely on users, who paid good money, to find ways around their bugs.  This happens over and over again. I won't put up with it anymore.  I simply won't use the trash/garbage that they put out.  It has caused me endless hours of grief and conversations with Apple, TT, and the community to figure out how to get around a problem that TT should fix and won't.  Sorry for your problems but if you continue to use TT you're in for more problems and grief.

BIllB3

When I try to save my turbo tax form to my file on my Mac it says that my file is locked. Then turbo tax as me if i want save it anyway? I click this box. Is my file saved or not and why does it say my file is locked?

I have used Turbtax upload for years but for the 2020 return and now the 2021 return I find SOOOO many problems. I've almost had it with TurboTax . I literally have to engineer several complex issues on Turbotax just to make it work and in a shorter time could have probably used the IRS form and done it myself faster. Sorry to be a bummer but there appear to be NO experts to help with most issues not until , for instance, 13 pages of questions on limited Mortgage Interest Deduction were created by frustrated users plus another year, do they have a very complicated fix, the directions of which on Mac download are numbered wrongly and needed to be rigged several times just for it to come out right.

I feel your pain. After countless tries was able to open TT Premier on my Mac (Big Sur) by setting up a new user. Jumped for joy until I tried to back up file. Error message says file is locked and unable to save. Have tried the fixes I’ve read about but nothing works. Don’t want to put in more time if I can’t save the file and who knows if I’ll be able to file electronically. The tech told me TT2021 wasn’t supported by Big Sur which is clearly untrue. Very disappointing as I’ve been using TT for years. Had similar problems last year.

@kathyram wrote:

I feel your pain. After countless tries was able to open TT Premier on my Mac (Big Sur) by setting up a new user. Jumped for joy until I tried to back up file. Error message says file is locked and unable to save. Have tried the fixes I’ve read about but nothing works. Don’t want to put in more time if I can’t save the file and who knows if I’ll be able to file electronically. The tech told me TT2021 wasn’t supported by Big Sur which is clearly untrue. Very disappointing as I’ve been using TT for years. Had similar problems last year.

@kathyram More than likely corruption occurred in one of the TurboTax support files in the other User account.

The best remedy is to totally uninstall TurboTax and all associate files and then re-install. That will not delete or change any .tax2020 data file that had already been created with the tax data.

To uninstall the application and all associated files need to be deleted and then the application reinstalled. If there was a state then the state must also be reinstalled.

To remove TurboTax from your computer, you'll need administrative rights.

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dcarrie
Returning Member

Then why is Turbo Tax the only software that I use that has this problem?

I think this might work.

The first time you save your file, the Mac will ask for your Mac Password. Below the box where you enter your password there are 3 more boxes. the one on the left says "always allow." check that box and see if that work for you

See above. When you save your tax file the first time your MAC will ask you for your MAC password. Below the box where you enter  your MAC password, there are 3 options to choose from. Check the one on the left that says, "Always allow". That sure solved my problem

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@dgrossxxxx Thank you for providing such valuable information to the community. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am a single user on a Mac. I down loaded TurboTax and I am trying to save my mostly completed return. Please help.

Ron

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

Follow the instructions in this link here to save your tax file. Use this link here to contact Customer Support if you need further assistance. 

@1664

Hasnaz
Returning Member

There is no save botton or sign out botton when I do my tax on iMac. 

how can I save it and come back later on to continue my taxes?

thanks

Hasmik

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@Hasnaz You can perform a "Save As" and then make certain AutoSave is turned on in your Mac System Preferences.

dcarrie
Returning Member

I don't get any such option. The only thing that works for me is to click Duplicate then Save... and give it a new name. I want to encrypt so I select that option then give the password. No other options appear. I have to go through this every time I open the file. I'm now on "...21d...". Next letter in the alphabet each time I work on it! Neither the AutoSave nor the Save option work for me. I must be missing something!

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@dcarrie Which type of Mac Operating System are you currently using?

dcarrie
Returning Member

Version 12.2  Monterey

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies