Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

javery_62

I am married but my husband I are filing separately because I owe money to IRS. I itemized my deductions and see he has to as well. He claims same ones I already have?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am married but my husband I are filing separately because I owe money to IRS. I itemized my deductions and see he has to as well. He claims same ones I already have?

When entering itemized deductions on two separate tax returns, the amount of the deductions being reported cannot be greater than the total amount paid for the deduction.

For Example - If you had Mortgage Interest of $1,000 then only that total amount can be entered between the two tax returns.  You cannot enter $1,000 for Mortgage Interest on one tax return and then enter $1,000 for a Mortgage Interest on the second tax return,

View solution in original post

1 Reply

When entering itemized deductions on two separate tax returns, the amount of the deductions being reported cannot be greater than the total amount paid for the deduction.

For Example - If you had Mortgage Interest of $1,000 then only that total amount can be entered between the two tax returns.  You cannot enter $1,000 for Mortgage Interest on one tax return and then enter $1,000 for a Mortgage Interest on the second tax return,

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies