turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got married on 10/25/17. Prior I was Single w/ 0 Allowances on W-4. Should I change W-4 status to married or wait until Jan 2018?If change, what put for status on 1040?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I got married on 10/25/17. Prior I was Single w/ 0 Allowances on W-4. Should I change W-4 status to married or wait until Jan 2018?If change, what put for status on 1040?

What you claim on your W4 doesn't have to match your actual tax return.  You should change it right away.  When you file 2017 you can only file as Married filing Joint or Married filing Separate.  Joint is the best way to file.  Does your spouse work or have income?  Then you might leave it as Single to have more taken out.  When I worked I always claimed Single and had extra taken out.  When you have 2 incomes you can end up owing more.  Each income only takes out enough for that one income.  

For 2017.........You can not transfer from or combine 2 returns or accounts.  Just pick the return for the spouse that has the most complicated return to enter or has any depreciation or business or  more investments.  Or use the account for whoever you want to be listed first going forward (by the way you can not change the order of the names).   Then add the other spouse's name, ssn and info to it.

You should usually  file a Joint return which is only 1 return combined for the both of you.  Make sure to stick with this one account for the future.  Just ignore the other spouse's account.

And info on Getting Married…..
http://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Getting-Married/INF12006.html

Is it better to file Joint or Separately?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-separ...

View solution in original post

2 Replies

What you claim on your W4 doesn't have to match your actual tax return.  You should change it right away.  When you file 2017 you can only file as Married filing Joint or Married filing Separate.  Joint is the best way to file.  Does your spouse work or have income?  Then you might leave it as Single to have more taken out.  When I worked I always claimed Single and had extra taken out.  When you have 2 incomes you can end up owing more.  Each income only takes out enough for that one income.  

For 2017.........You can not transfer from or combine 2 returns or accounts.  Just pick the return for the spouse that has the most complicated return to enter or has any depreciation or business or  more investments.  Or use the account for whoever you want to be listed first going forward (by the way you can not change the order of the names).   Then add the other spouse's name, ssn and info to it.

You should usually  file a Joint return which is only 1 return combined for the both of you.  Make sure to stick with this one account for the future.  Just ignore the other spouse's account.

And info on Getting Married…..
http://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Getting-Married/INF12006.html

Is it better to file Joint or Separately?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894449-is-it-better-for-a-married-couple-to-file-jointly-or-separ...

Thank you for the reply, it is very useful! Just to add, my wife is unemployed (No income) in 2017.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies