turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

slc3035

Head of household vs married filing jointly

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you are married and living with your spouse at any time during the last six months of the year you cannot file as Head of Household.

When you are married you should be filing as Married Filing Jointly even if one spouse has little or no income.  You receive the highest standard deduction of $12,600 and you each receive a personal exemption of $4,050.

Even if you could file as HOH the standard deduction is $9,300, which is far less than the standard deduction for Married Filing Jointly.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

What is your question?

Do you live with your spouse?
slc3035

Y can't I file head of household married wife doesn't work
slc3035

Yes
slc3035

Thank you

single vs head of household

If you are married and living with your spouse at any time during the last six months of the year you cannot file as Head of Household.

When you are married you should be filing as Married Filing Jointly even if one spouse has little or no income.  You receive the highest standard deduction of $12,600 and you each receive a personal exemption of $4,050.

Even if you could file as HOH the standard deduction is $9,300, which is far less than the standard deduction for Married Filing Jointly.

Hello, I am single and 60years old, full-time employee. My parents live with me and are 81 and 84. My father works part-time with no pension and just informed me his gross income for 2020 was $12,511. He works part time for a major car rental agency at the Airport. My Mother does not work and has a small pension of under $500 a month. They both collect SSI. I pay the mortgage, utilities and taxes for my house

My Father files a Joint return.

They have been living with me for 10 plus years now...........

Can I still file as Head of Household?.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Unfortunately, no.  Neither of your parents are a qualifying person which you need in order to claim the Head of Household status.  

@golferinwindsor  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

for 2020 their gross income is too high and they file a joint return. both of these situations means you can't claim either of them as a dependent. without dependents you can't claim HOH status.  you may have been filing wrong for multiple years. 

This was my first attempt of Head of Household. 

I was just informed that if my Father files as married/filing single he would owe taxes on $111 dollars?. Which is about $25 dollars. I would gladly give him the $25 or so to get $3000.  

Thanks,

Joe

Hal_Al
Level 15

Even if your father filed as Married Filing Separately (MFS), your mother could still not be your dependent (and HoH qualifying person). Her small pension is more than the $4300 income limit.

That was a guess, I will find out the exact amount she is getting. If it is lower than $4300 I would be ok?

She gets $205 per month or $2460 a year

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies