Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rpfe8851

What is the fee to pay federal taxes by credit card when using TurboTax to efile?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What is the fee to pay federal taxes by credit card when using TurboTax to efile?

Your cheapest option is going to be to actually use the IRS Direct Pay website.  Here is a link with the exact breakdown of the service fees charged (depends on the processor you choose but overall a little less than 2%).  If you go this route, just choose the option to "pay by check" in TurboTax and then make the payment online instead (make sure you indicate you are paying for 2017 Form 1040).

You can use TurboTax to process your credit card payment at the point of e-file, but the service charges are higher with this route - 2.49% (and it's not because of TurboTax - the IRS has higher fees associated with the integrated e-file and pay option).  You can view those fees here -

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Your cheapest option is going to be to actually use the IRS Direct Pay website.  Here is a link with the exact breakdown of the service fees charged (depends on the processor you choose but overall a little less than 2%).  If you go this route, just choose the option to "pay by check" in TurboTax and then make the payment online instead (make sure you indicate you are paying for 2017 Form 1040).

You can use TurboTax to process your credit card payment at the point of e-file, but the service charges are higher with this route - 2.49% (and it's not because of TurboTax - the IRS has higher fees associated with the integrated e-file and pay option).  You can view those fees here -

what went wrong trying to pay IRS with credit card

GRC1
Returning Member

@monteleee111 Are you saying you had a problem doing it this way.  I’m hoping to tell TurboTax system I’ll pay by check, get my state refund and then pay by credit card on IRS site.  Is that possible? 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes,  you can select pay IRS by check and then pay by credit card via the IRS site.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did not see the fine print about the fee to use a credit card.  Very disappointed. I called customer service and was given a number to call and try to change the method of payment but it was a third party who said they could not because we weren't enrolled? They gave us a number to the IRS payment services with dozens of answering prompts. After trying several numbers every message said we are too busy to talk. Goodbye.  We paid almost $400 in fees because we didn't see the fine print. We found numerous others in online chats who said the same thing happened to them on Turbotax software. Very sad about this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies