turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What can i do if someone without permission claimed me on their taxes? How do i fix that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
WillK
Intuit Alumni

What can i do if someone without permission claimed me on their taxes? How do i fix that?

You will need to prepare your return as if you are not claimed by someone else, but an independent. You will need to print and mail your return into the IRS and your state. The IRS will look at your return and that of the person who claimed you. They will ask you for more information so they can determine who is correct. Once they have made a determination, they will adjust the returns as necessary. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

181 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

You will need to prepare your return as if you are not claimed by someone else, but an independent. You will need to print and mail your return into the IRS and your state. The IRS will look at your return and that of the person who claimed you. They will ask you for more information so they can determine who is correct. Once they have made a determination, they will adjust the returns as necessary. 

Larrysway

What can I do if someone claimed me without my permission

MayaD
Employee Tax Expert

If you qualify as a dependent on that person's return, he/she does not need your permission to claim you. 

If you determine that no one has the right to claim you as their dependent, you should file a paper return, claiming yourself and send it in to the IRS. They will then contact you and whoever claimed you and adjust your tax result accordingly.

Taquona

How do I receive the paper that I have to send when someone is filing me on their taxes without my permission? Im having this problem and I've been working but always got rejected because of someone using my SSN 

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

If your Social Security number is compromised and you know or suspect you are a victim of tax-related identity theft, the IRS recommends these actions:

• Respond immediately to any IRS notice: Call the number provided.
  • If your e-filed return is rejected because of a duplicate filing under your Social Security number, or if the IRS instructs you to do so, complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit (PDF).  Use a fillable form at IRS.gov, print, then attach the form to your return and mail your return according to instructions.
  • Visit IdentityTheft.gov for steps you should take right away to protect yourself and your financial accounts.

See this IRS website for more information about taxpayer identity theft.

If you cannot efile then print, ink sign and mail in the return instead.   In the FILE tab choose to mail in the return and the proper forms and instructions will be presented in the PDF. 

I am on ssi i dont file taxes but by them claiming me i miss out on the 1200 dollars from the goverment what if anything can i do to get the money

Those that are claimed as dependents on the 2019 return are not eligible for the advance of the credit ... however they may be able to file a 2020 return to get the credit at that time.  So you must wait. 

Mccs12

I was claimed as someone’s dependent a couple of years back without my knowing. I am related to the person, but due to certain events I no longer have anything to do with them. They do not contribute anything to me in any shape or form. Would this be considered fraud? Would I be able to ask them to for the money they may have received on my behalf for claiming me? 

Anitavanhoose
Returning Member

My neice an I live in the same household..we both our own income. I receive SSI an SSDI 

However this year she claimed me on her  taxes an i didn't know it.  Now im worried about it effecting my stimulus package money 

@Mccs12 

To combat the other person that claimed you ... you can file your own return to technically claim yourself  and/or turn them into the IRS. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-you-report-suspected-tax-fraud-activity

@Anitavanhoose 

You will NOT get a stimulus check now if you were claimed as a dependent on the 2019 return.

However, you will be able to file a 2020 return to get the stimulus money  IF  you are NOT claimed as a dependent on the 2020 return.

Hal_Al
Level 15

@Anitavanhoose 

The details are still unclear on how all stimulus stuff will work out.  You niece gets a $500 tax credit for claiming you as a dependent, but she does not get any additional stimulus $.

Since you are on SSDI, I assume you do not file a tax return.  It's my understanding that because you get an SSA-1099 form for the SSDI, you will automatically get a stimulus payment late in April.  

Even if you don't, you can file a 2020 tax return, in 2021 and get it then. 

"In essence, the stimulus check acts as an advance of a person's 2020 income tax refund. This means when he prepares his 2020 income tax return, there will be a line to include the section 6428 credit. The credit on his 2020 return is subtracted by any amount received as a stimulus check in 2020. If the amount he received as a stimulus check is less than the credit he is due, the difference will be included as part of his 2020 refund. If he has been overpaid by receiving the stimulus check, however, he will not be required to return any excess amount".

Hal_Al
Level 15

@Mccs12 

If you qualify as a dependent under the rules, a taxpayer doesn't need your permission to claim you.  Depending on the details, it may not have been necessary for them to have contributed anything to you in any shape or form. See full rules at https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/Rules-for-Claiming-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Ret...

The usual way to combat this, is for the person who is allowed to claim you (including yourself) to file a tax return doing so.  The conflict prompts the IRS to sort it all out (see other comments in this thread for details).

Depending on the details, it could be fraud. To Report tax fraud: see: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f3949a.pdf 

Q. Would I be able to ask them to for the money they may have received on my behalf for claiming me? 

A. That would be the best way to resolve it.  The amount involved could be as little as $400 and as much as $3500 depending on the details

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies