Solved: Re: You will need to prepare your return as if you...

crystarice93

What can i do if someone without permission claimed me on their taxes? How do i fix that?

WillK

You will need to prepare your return as if you are not claimed by someone else, but an independent. You will need to print and mail your return into the IRS and your state. The IRS will look at your return and that of the person who claimed you. They will ask you for more information so they can determine who is correct. Once they have made a determination, they will adjust the returns as necessary. 

WillK

Larrysway

What can I do if someone claimed me without my permission

MayaD

If you qualify as a dependent on that person's return, he/she does not need your permission to claim you. 

If you determine that no one has the right to claim you as their dependent, you should file a paper return, claiming yourself and send it in to the IRS. They will then contact you and whoever claimed you and adjust your tax result accordingly.

Taquona

How do I receive the paper that I have to send when someone is filing me on their taxes without my permission? Im having this problem and I've been working but always got rejected because of someone using my SSN 

DavidS127

If your Social Security number is compromised and you know or suspect you are a victim of tax-related identity theft, the IRS recommends these actions:

• Respond immediately to any IRS notice: Call the number provided.
  • If your e-filed return is rejected because of a duplicate filing under your Social Security number, or if the IRS instructs you to do so, complete IRS Form 14039, Identity Theft Affidavit (PDF).  Use a fillable form at IRS.gov, print, then attach the form to your return and mail your return according to instructions.
  • Visit IdentityTheft.gov for steps you should take right away to protect yourself and your financial accounts.

See this IRS website for more information about taxpayer identity theft.

If you cannot efile then print, ink sign and mail in the return instead.   In the FILE tab choose to mail in the return and the proper forms and instructions will be presented in the PDF. 

Peewee1956A

I am on ssi i dont file taxes but by them claiming me i miss out on the 1200 dollars from the goverment what if anything can i do to get the money

Those that are claimed as dependents on the 2019 return are not eligible for the advance of the credit ... however they may be able to file a 2020 return to get the credit at that time.  So you must wait. 

Mccs12

I was claimed as someone’s dependent a couple of years back without my knowing. I am related to the person, but due to certain events I no longer have anything to do with them. They do not contribute anything to me in any shape or form. Would this be considered fraud? Would I be able to ask them to for the money they may have received on my behalf for claiming me? 

Anitavanhoose

My neice an I live in the same household..we both our own income. I receive SSI an SSDI 

However this year she claimed me on her  taxes an i didn't know it.  Now im worried about it effecting my stimulus package money 

@Mccs12 

To combat the other person that claimed you ... you can file your own return to technically claim yourself  and/or turn them into the IRS. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-you-report-suspected-tax-fraud-activity