turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wstt

What actual address goes on my tax return home or mailing address? I receive my mail in another state & TT puts this address on my return, even though I don't file there.

Turbo Tax specifically asks in its questions for Mailing Address. However, I live in a different state than I like to receive my mail. I've noticed for the past 5 years, TT puts that mailing address on my 1040 even though the 1040 specifically asks for home address and not mailing address. Why does TT do this incorrectly?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

What actual address goes on my tax return home or mailing address? I receive my mail in another state & TT puts this address on my return, even though I don't file there.

If you'd like to change the address:

1.  Click Continue at Getting started with Turbo Tax.

2.  Click Edit next to Mailing Address & Phone Number.

3.  Make any changes and click Continue.

wstt

Did you read the question, it wasn't how to change the address, but "What actual address goes on my tax return home or mailing address?"

I can't tell you what address to use.  It's going to be the one that you receive mail at. Turbo Tax doesn't "put" an address on your return, it reports whatever you put in the section that I outlined above.

If you have the Desktop program switch to Forms and open the actual 1040 and look at it.  You can check all the places on the personal info worksheet or 1040 worksheet.
wstt

I'm confused TT can tell me what numbers I should enter from my w-2 but they can't tell me what address I should use on my return? My state return has two areas for address, residence and mailing address, but I don't know which to use for my 1040 as it only has one address to fill in.

Oh ok.  Use whatever address you want any letters from the IRS to go to.

thanks VolvoGirl for the conciseness.

I'm really confused why the people answering couldn't understand the question.

The official 1040 IRS form  asks for a home address. But TT asks for a mailing address. It is odd.

I agree. It must be a very common situation - a mailing address different than a legal home address.

Very odd. I'm having the same issue and question. Why does TT say "Mailing Address" but then on the 1040 fill it in under "Home Address" and then act oblivious to any confusion that may arise because of it. It is a mailing address or Home address as The feds ask for?

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

The IRS asks for your home address (number and street). Enter your box number only if your post office doesn't deliver mail to your home.

@boostmann 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies