turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We are married with no kids and each have a job. When we fill out the w4 for both can we both enter a "1" in section 1a for the determining MN allowances?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

We are married with no kids and each have a job. When we fill out the w4 for both can we both enter a "1" in section 1a for the determining MN allowances?

You are asking about Form W-4MN for Minnesota. That's not the same as federal Form W-4.

Yes, you should both enter 1 on line A of Section 1. You and your spouse are not each other's dependent.

(I assume that you are asking whether one of you is considered a dependent of the other. Your spouse can never be your dependent. There are situations where a married person could be claimed as a dependent by someone other than the spouse. Such situations are not very common. One situation where it sometimes comes up is with young newlyweds who are still dependents of their parents.)

Sorry, yes, I am asking about for W-4MN. Just to confirm we should both be entering a 1 on that form in section 1a?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@bmcdonough1 wrote:

Sorry, yes, I am asking about for W-4MN. Just to confirm we should both be entering a 1 on that form in section 1a?

Yes, that is correct.

Manage cookies