turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

helmers20

Does my 17 year old daughter have to pay taxes or can I still claim her?

She earned just under $5300.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Your daughter can be a “qualifying child” dependent if:

…He/she is not filing a joint return with anyone else.

…He/she does not file a tax return claiming someone else as a dependent

…He/she is under age 19 at the end of the year, or a full-time student under age 24 at the end of the year, or permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year, regardless of age.

… He/she must have lived with you for more than half of the year. There are exceptions for temporary absences, children who were born or died during the year, kidnapped children, and children of divorced or separated parents.

…He/she cannot have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.  IRS Publication 501 on page 20 has a worksheet to help in the calculation of support.

…He/she is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico, for some part of the year.

Even if you claim her as a dependent, she will be required to file her own return since her income in 2015 exceeded $6,300.  Be sure she indicates on that return that she can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return if in fact she is your dependent.

View solution in original post

16 Replies

Did she get a W-2 or 1099-MISC?
helmers20

She received a w2
MEGO57
Returning Member

yes from the army
MEGO57
Returning Member

w2

You are posting something to a year old thread, and not even asking a complete question.  Please start your own question so someone can help.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I I claim my 17 year old, does she still need to file her own taxes? she's made under $5000 this year

MY DEPENDENT HAD A JOB
If your dependent has a W-2 for his after-school job, summer job, etc. you do not include the information on your own return. You can still claim your child as a dependent on your own return.  He/she can file his own return for a refund of some of his withheld wages (he won’t get back anything for Social Security or Medicare), but MUST indicate on it that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  (Supervise this closely or prepare it for him!)
If your dependent’s earnings were over $400 and were reported on a 1099Misc then he must file a return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.  You may want to use this version of TT for that:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/</a>
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Your daughter can be a “qualifying child” dependent if:

…He/she is not filing a joint return with anyone else.

…He/she does not file a tax return claiming someone else as a dependent

…He/she is under age 19 at the end of the year, or a full-time student under age 24 at the end of the year, or permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year, regardless of age.

… He/she must have lived with you for more than half of the year. There are exceptions for temporary absences, children who were born or died during the year, kidnapped children, and children of divorced or separated parents.

…He/she cannot have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.  IRS Publication 501 on page 20 has a worksheet to help in the calculation of support.

…He/she is a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico, for some part of the year.

Even if you claim her as a dependent, she will be required to file her own return since her income in 2015 exceeded $6,300.  Be sure she indicates on that return that she can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return if in fact she is your dependent.

I believe that you can still claim her as your dependent on your taxes but she will still need to file her own return and on her return she must say that someone else which is you is allowed to claim her on their taxes.  Since she made more then 3,500 this year she does have to file.

Not right.  The amount is 6,300 not 3,500.  But that's only for W2 income.  If you get any 1099Misc you have to file a return if it is only $400 or more.

Where are you getting $3500?

That's probably an old exemption amount.  Not the standard deduction.

Usually if you make 3,500 or more you will generate a refund amount. IRS site says that you aren't required to have to file a tax return in this type of situation but should file a tax return as it may generate a refund.

What???  There is no magic amount that generates a refund.  Refund or Tax Due is based on a lot of different things.  Mainly the difference between your tax liability and the withholding you have taken out.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies